Dimensions for materials and supplies?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

BigDan

Dimensions for materials and supplies?

Post by BigDan »

THIMC:

:D

I only see a width and a thickness for the base material and top sheet and only a width for the fiberglass. I know I need a certain meterage (if that's a word) for each pair of skis, but I can't calculate that without the length and the width for these materials.

What needs to be in my shopping cart for one pair of skis?

BigDan
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

It says right in the description, but here you go anyway.

For one pair of skis, you will need, at the minimum:

2 (meters) Base material
4 (each) Edges
4 (meters) VDS rubber
2 (meters) Fiberglass
2 (meters) Topsheet
1 (each) Tip/Tail spacer (I bought 2)

And then whatever you want for sidewalls, it looks like one piece will do a pair of skis. I use wood sidewalls for simplicity.
BigDan

Just to Clarify...

Post by BigDan »

In your store, just above the 4001 p-tex, you write:
4001 Grade P-tex Base Material, 30cm wide, 1.3mm thick, black [Item # base400113nblk]. NOTE: 4001 grade is optimized for better performance (e.g., better glide), and it's a step above the traditional 2001 grade base material.

Then, just below the "add to cart" button you write:

4001 grade, 30 cm wide, black
$11.99/meter

You will need 2 meters of base material for one pair of skis or one snowboard

I see a width and a thickness, but no length. I know I need 2 meters. How am I supposed to buy 2 meters when I don't know how much I get for $11.99? I'm no engineer, but LENGTH x WIDTH = AREAsq (I think).

So you need to give dimensions to the products at your store. I'm not trying to be a smart @$$. I just want to build some skis, and you guys have all the stuff in one place. So, I'll ask again just a little different...

If I click "add to cart" how much of each product do I get (i.e. one unit of p-tex base material in my cart equals how many square meters of p-tex material)? There's just no way to tell for sure right now.

BD:D :D

P.S. You have good dimensions on the picture of the p-tex side wall material.
BIGDan
danishstock

Post by danishstock »

I'll jump in...

BigDan, $11.99/meter means the one meter of material costs $11.99. So, 2 meters X $11.99/meter = $23.98.

Good luck!
mark

Re: Just to Clarify...

Post by mark »

BigDan wrote: 4001 grade, 30 cm wide, black
$11.99/meter

If I click "add to cart" how much of each product do I get (i.e. one unit of p-tex base material in my cart equals how many square meters of p-tex material)? There's just no way to tell for sure right now.

One unit in cart = 1 meter(length) x 30 cm(width) = 0.3 square meters of material.

Not that it's my store or anything, but I'm fairly sure that's what it means.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

BigDan,
I think the industry in general sells the product by the meter, therefor the price is per meter. It will be up to you to determine how many meters you will need. If I make several pairs of skis, I would need to figure the total length of all the skis (combined) and order that length of material. The material comes from the factory as a big roll in a predetermined width. So if you order 5 meters, they will roll off 5 meters and cut the material. Hope this helps you understand the process a bit.
P.S. top sheet is figured the same way.
Good to see more people getting ito the ski building process!
rockaukum