Binding mounts?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rockaukum

Binding mounts?

Post by rockaukum »

What is the comon way for construction if you do not use inserts for the bindings. My skis have used poplar for the core and was wondering if the bindings were just screwed into the poplar core would they hold? What are we doing here? Aluminum or other material to strengthen the binding mount area? This would be for alpine skis and bindings (unknown type) and made for a christmas gift. Thanks for the help.
rockaukum
plywood

Re: Binding mounts?

Post by plywood »

metal should help prevent binding pullouts. my mate, who works for stöckli ski also told me that with metal you can mount and remount a binding a few times because the metal really holds the screws.

on my skis with fir cores i routed out a pocket under the binding in which i put two sheets of ash veneer. holds perfectly - the only problem is the alignment of the veneer, you really have to make sure that nothing shifts. as i screwed in the binding i could "feel" the difference. i really had to force the screw through the veneer/composites. then the last few mm where the screw just had to bite through fir core there was a little less force needed to tighten it.

normally on ash cores i just reinforce the binding area with an additional patch of biaxial fibreglass, just for the area directly under the screws. this could get a bit difficult as you don`t know what type of binding gets screwed on...so you had to make larger patches. same with the metal. but as you use poplar weight shouldn`t be a problem.
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!