Turning radius...where?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

stenmark

Turning radius...where?

Post by stenmark »

Is the radius or side cut always placed on the mid of the ski? Has this been discussed?

Do I always want the boot center to be right over "radius center"?
plywood

Re: Turning radius...where?

Post by plywood »

i don`t think that this is as you said: the radius mostly starts at the front of the skis and ends on the tail. more or less on the points where you measure how wide the ski is. and most skis have a wider tip than tail, often around 1cm or so(unless you have a true twin). this shifts the center of the radius forwards. so the center/the narrowest point of a ski is not in the middle of it, it`s slightly forward.
now for the binding: you don`t mount them "midsole" on radius center - normally there is just no possability of doing so. unless you have a real twintip for park where you mount the boot really in the middle of the ski...but i think these type of skis is very specific and something like an exception Wink

normally you mount with a little setback, depending on what your skis should be used for. there are several methods of locating the point where to mount. you can do some area calculations and use a special proportion of area in front of/behind the binding. or you mount them "ball of the foot over the center" of the ski etc.

but generally you mount the boot center behind the radius center because you steer the ski with the ball of the foot and by setting back the binding you got more stability. you can better control the skis with a big tip and a smaller tail. the tail slides more easily, something like this
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
endre

Post by endre »

...hmm.. from 250 measurements the boot center mark was usually at the narrowest part of the ski. This is normaly placed at 53-56% (behind the true center of running length), or about 6-9cm behind true center, depending on ski length. With an even, sircular radius, a setback of 8cm would give a taper of about 1cm. (front-back)

Exceptions are symmetrical skis like Fischer Addict (50%) and Line Anthem.(50%), where the true center is identical with radius center.
stenmark

Post by stenmark »

Thank you!

I will do some calculations tonight.

While I have you on the thread...do you have any favorites? Tip-mid-tail?

I'm building freerides for piste. (I think...)

cheers
endre

Post by endre »

makem big.
Lennard

Post by Lennard »

what about:

S= tip width
H= tail width
W= waist width
L = overall length
Q= angle during ride

side cut : sc = (S+H-2W)/4

radius : r = (L²cosQ)/(2(S+H-2W)) = (L² cos Q)/(8*sc)

i took as angle 30°, 45° and 60°