Graphics materials

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

meremademe

Graphics materials

Post by meremademe »

So i want to incorporate lettering and duct tape into my graphics, and I was wondering a) if duct tape would stick to the topsheet (the non-sticky side of the tape obviously), and b) what would be the best way to get lettering onto my skis. I don't want any wood exposed, so would laying down a fabric sheet, and then doing writing on a piece of paper work? does anyone know what type of paper works best for graphics (printer, photo or otherwise)?
plywood

Re: Graphics materials

Post by plywood »

i`m not sure if duct tape really sticks. i wouldn`t do it, i`ve got a feeling that it could get really messy aligning it with the sticky side on the epoxy...and i also don`t think that it really bonds well with the upper side.

there are some easy ways to get letters on your grafic. if you use a topsheet you can write something on it with a waterproof marker. just write it on the "downside" of the topsheet, but remember to write it back-to-front so that the letters are in the right order when you flip the topsheet and glue it on the skis. do some tests first because not every waterproofen marker can be used, some may blur with epoxy.

you also can print some grafics out. what really works best is if you print them out with a laserprinter. it can not possibly blur. i also did it with some printout with ink, there are some cases in which it works, but do a test first.

in every case you should keep in mind that normal paper gets sort of translucent when wetted with epoxy, so you`re gonna see the structure of the wood below. if you don`t want this you have to use thicker paper, for example paper that`s made for drawing with watercolours.
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
icanryme2002

Handymans Secret Weapon

Post by icanryme2002 »

Well for duct tape one time I actually got the adhesive off, but it was old and had seen a lot of wear and tear. :idea: One thing you can try is freezing the tape (The adhesive doesn't work as well in the cold.) then scraping it off. Also duct tape is perforated slightly, so you should be able to get the epoxy to seep through for a solid bond. I hope it turns out well. :)
Ladies and Gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

If you don't want to see the core, then a layer of fabric is a good way of covering it up. We've used a bunch of different papers and have good results.

Inkjet printing on rice paper will turn translucent and works best on lighter fabrics. Take a look at the upper crusts, and daddy's little girls.

Regular copy paper works also, but doesn't turn as translucent as rice paper. Look at the Henny's.

Heavy weight matte inkjet paper will remain opaque. Look at the logos on the Bitching camaros and the little wings.

You can also cut out your letters using colored construction paper.
-kelvin