Twintips?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

chris

Twintips?

Post by chris »

i have an old pair of skis that i no longer used, and i was wondering if you can turn them into twintips, just for mucking around in the park? i thought maybe you could heat them up and bend the tails or something... anybody know if this would work?
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Chris: welcome!

not sure how easy it would be to heat up the ski and bend it. the expoxy is pretty much set, but it might work. but here's an idea (credit Little Kam for this): bolt-on twip tips. find another old pair of skis, cut the tips off and figure out a way to bolt them on. we're thinking about design skis with bolt-on twip tips for those days in the backcountry when you want to jib it up... :D
Idris

Post by Idris »

Hi Chris,

This is something I've done a few times with varing degress of sucsess.
I't depends a lot on how your ski are constructed how well it will work and how much effort is required.
First you need a heat gun and a secure way to clamp the ski.
Heat the tail of the ski as hot as you dare - just not hot enough to set fire to it!
Bend the ski - you have to bend twice as much as you want the eventual bend to be.
Clamp and allow to cool.
When you remove it from the clamps it may delaminate, spring back to it's origional shape or a variation of both.
If it is still bent drill hole in it, especially where the bend is.
To stop it straightening put rivets through these hole, epoxy them in place.
Also epoxy and rivet any delminations.
When I did this to salamon xscream series they would slowly revrt to being flat until I riveted the bend. A pair of Rossigniol Power Ti's that had the same treatment delaminated badly but didn't straighten out.

best of luck
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

you can actually buy super cheap twins from the not-so-great sports stores like Big 5, Garts, etc. REI even will have old twins that are hugely marked down. Your best chance is ebay though.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
davide

Post by davide »

This guy has made twin tips on a pair of Bandit XX: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/thermik/bricolage%20ski.htm

It is in French, but the pictures are clear enough.

Good luck.
chris

Post by chris »

Thanks alot guys, they were great tips. I'm going to start trying to do it tomorrow.
chris

Post by chris »

well, i tried doing it. i did it the same way which the above guy did his bandit's. on the first ski it worked well, although i didn't quite get as much bend in it as i would have wanted. however, on the second ski the topsheed ended up delaminating. is it possible for me to take it off and redo it with fiberglass?
o2bjedi

Post by o2bjedi »

Hey Chris, your idea gave me a lot of enthusiasm to make twins out of my old rossis. My purpose was to make rail specific skis pretty much for a joke, but it turned out to be a quite involved project.
What i did was sand down the topsheet a little and make the horizontal cuts.
I puts little resin-soaked strips in the cuts and put a small piece of resin soaked glass on the tail portion. I clamped the tail down and let dry for about a day. They both turned out really well.
In addition to bending the tails, I also painted the topsheet, center-mounted my bindings and rounded the edges under-foot for rails.
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

In my late teens, back when twin-tips were brand new I made a pair, out of some RD Coyotes. They are a foam cored ski. I cut the tip 16" off of a really old pair of skis from up in the attic to use as clamp molds. I set the tail of the RD ski in a toaster oven. When the topsheet began to bubble I pulled the ski out & quickly clamped the tip sections of the old ski on top & bottom of the tail of the RD. Repeated for the second ski. Presto! Crappy twin tip skis. I hated the skis to begin with so I really didn't enjoy them with the twin tip. Just used them a few times to try rails for the first time. About the only thing I'd ever use them for would be some urban exploring.
Chris

Post by Chris »

i managed to fix the delaminate, hopefully it will stay fixed. i also sanded down the topsheet and painted the skis. i'm basically just planning on using them as rail skis and for mucking around, when i don't want to screw up my good skis. when i see how these ones hold up, i might try doing it again.