sidewall edge recess question

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

threeninethree

sidewall edge recess question

Post by threeninethree »

At what point do you router in the recess to take up the height of the edge teeth? Also what are the best methods? I looked around for a post on this topic but I was still left with questions.

Thanks
Bambi

Post by Bambi »

A lot of people don't bother.

I was skeptical, but tried without a recess and my bases have come out nice and flat.

B.
hafte

Post by hafte »

I do the recess before the core is profiled. I did it the other way around the first time and ran into too many problems trying to hold down the profiled core.

Here is a picture of the table I made to cut the recess. The router bit is a ½” 4 flute spiral bottom end mill I picked up at a local industrial supply store for ~$22.00. I like these cutters because they are very stable in the router and cut very smoothly when sharp. I use the scrap edge as a depth gage to set the router. The guide is held to the table by a bolt that runs in a T slot cut in the table and sets the width of the cut into the core.

I use this same table with a different guide to trim and bevel the ski after the flash is removed.
hope that helps

Hafte