Cutting the core tip.

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

hafte

Cutting the core tip.

Post by hafte »

In the kingswood video, I think its the one, they cut the end of the core with a “V” back into the ski I believe to prevent a stress riser at the tip. Has anyone tried that out yet? I have the core ready for my BL Nihilist’s and I’m at a cross road. I could leave it as is or cut the “V”. I really like the idea of the “V”. Its so much easier to make the tip spacer. You can use the right angle corner in your material. It’s a nice simple clean idea. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I have the lines drawn and ready to cut. Would there be issues with torsional stiffness at the tip? I have it set so that the edges are backed by the wood. I came in a ¼” from the edge and drew the “V” to the center.

Thanks

Hafte
Bambi

Post by Bambi »

I did exactly that - I think a straight cut across creates a discontinuity across the line of flex, so I cut a ve into the core so that the tip spacer slots in. My V came about 2" back into the core.

I don't think that you will get torsional stiffness issues because the tip starts to narrow at that point, so the main loading point will still be into the core - just don't cut the V more aggressively that 45 degrees!

It assembled well, and I doubt my delam was a resulty of this.

B.
hafte

Post by hafte »

Thanks, I was going to make the angle between the two 90 degrees so the tip parts would be easy to make. Looks like I will cutting in ~ 2.5" for this ski.

Hafte