Making a jig

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

melvs

Making a jig

Post by melvs »

I spent all day trying to make a jig for my router to cut out the tip/tail parts of the bottom mold. I cannot for the life of me figure it out. tigs/suggestions for making it, more specifically the curved section and how to fixture it?
-Pat
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

1. First make a template of your tip/tail mold out of some scrap wood.

2. Secure wood template to a big piece of MDF (or whatever wood you plan on using for the tip/tail molds) with countersunk nails, double-sided tape, or hot glue. I use 3/8" thick wood or something similar. Your MDF should be large enough so that when your template is placed on it you can still clamp the MDF to your working table without getting in the way of your router.

3. Use your router with a either a template guide or a straight bit with a ball-bearing to follow the template and cut out the tip mold shape from the MDF.

4. Repeat for ____ number of pieces.

5. Glue pieces together using wood glue and clamp together.

6. Once the glue is cured, take your belt sander and sand away until the tip mold is nice and smooth.

I'm sure there are better ways of making a tip mold.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
*ARMADA*

Post by *ARMADA* »

I made the mold using a turbocad printout of the tip, camber section and tail-> templates-> cut out and sand pieces->bolt together alternating pieces (tip/tail, then camber, then tip/tail again, etc.)
J I B T H E S H I T