"you building what? Are you mad?"

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Brazen wrote:Beast. I ran with 40/12 and I laugh. That thing is amazing!
unfortunately beast sits in my garage almost a year now without any use :(

40/12==> What does that?
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

after several small-scale tests immediately appear problem how secure core to profiler table I decided it will be cheaper and simpler in the long run just to get vacuum pump from the beginning.
Thanks God for craigslist.
switzch

Post by switzch »

after several small-scale tests immediately appear problem how secure core to profiler table I decided it will be cheaper and simpler in the long run just to get vacuum pump from the beginning.
Most people use hot glue although I have thought about using a vacuum pump on my profiler as well. Very curious to see how it works out, post some pictures when your done.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

that's the worst part about router profiling IMO the core wants to pull up so much and its hard to check the thickness if its hot glued down.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Jibber

Post by Jibber »

I use my vacuum cleaner to hold the core down -> http://www.raget.li/?p=42

Air volume is more important than the effective vacuum.

Cheers, Christoph
sir.orange

Post by sir.orange »

Jibber wrote:I use my vacuum cleaner to hold the core down -> http://www.raget.li/?p=42

Air volume is more important than the effective vacuum.
thats the way you go.
i m using a mdf board with some air-channels. a festo vacuum cleaner attached, holds the cores that you need force to pull them of.

i started with a cheap vac cleaner, that sucked the air through 2 holes in the router table. now, with the stronger festo cleaner i have 3 holes along the core, results in a constant holding force.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

MontuckyMadman wrote:that's the worst part about router profiling IMO the core wants to pull up so much and its hard to check the thickness if its hot glued down.
this is exactly the reason I went with vacuum pump also in several tests hot glue suddenly broke off. Not to mention vibration between glued point.

I'm going to make profiler table inserts like this one http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... c&start=15
my "new to me" ;) pump powerful enough to hold core in place. Will need to figure out simple vacuum system. Probably small tank, valve and filter. Appreciate suggestions here

I didn't know shop-vac can be used. I don't have shop-vac big enough anyway and this pump cost me less than good size new shop vacuum.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

my original intention was to build simple yet accurate profiling jig. I went from wood to strut channel to U-channel and every time bent, kink or twist make a whole set up inaccurate.

after some thinking I decided to build this design

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/305 ... arge-slabs

With 2 of 20--25mm shafts, 4 bearings as a wheels and U- channel or wood as a rails.

Also in the plans to make Pin router attachment to the table saw or drill press instead of router table.

something simple like this should work.

http://www.setchellguitars.co.uk/ant/an ... 08/jig.jpg

also I got big blower with most likely enough power and airflow to be use in vacuum table.

Currently I don't really know when it's all get build because while lifts spinning I want spend free time skiing not building.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

this project take much longer than I ever thought.

Finally progress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While waiting for few parts to be welded for profiling table I made overhead router attachment to table saw. Some more work will needs to be done to it like attach dust collection maybe add pin so I don't have to use bearings on router bits for templates.
Last edited by MadRussian on Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Dude!
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

I have the problems with snocad's printout templates. Print same PDF file three times today and every time dimensions slightly different from what it should be. One template 20--30mm shorter and T/W/T approximately 10 mm narrower . Second template overall length 175 instead of 170 T/W/T also slightly off not as much as other one about 5 mm. Third one I print only half same story.

Also pages do not line up to well

connected pages came out good but different from what I wanted to.

What I'm doing wrong? Is it normal in snocad to change dimensions after printout? what can I do to fix the problem?
vinman

Post by vinman »

Make sure your print program has the scaling right.

Or

Take it to a shop that does large format printing and have them print a full scale print out for you. Much easier this way. Only cost a few bucks to do it this way.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Vinman wrote:Make sure your print program has the scaling right.

Or

Take it to a shop that does large format printing and have them print a full scale print out for you. Much easier this way. Only cost a few bucks to do it this way.
I think scale set correctly. Now I am only doing a trial/learning template making and dimension not as important. Considered printing full template in Kinko's shop.
I simply was surprised to get printout different every time
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Did trial template making today, came out nice and smooth. A few more times small-scale template making so I can get better on doing it and I'll be ready to make real stuff 8)

MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Got to start somewhere.

This is designed I going to make. Before to late can use some suggestions and criticism.