Attention Seattle Area Skibuilders

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Craig

Attention Seattle Area Skibuilders

Post by Craig »

Hi,

I recently relocated to Seattle from Columbus, Ohio to accompany my girlfriend as she enters grad school at UW. Plus, I get to live in an area with some actual topography, so it works out pretty well.

However, at my new apartment in the U District, I don't have anything resembling any of the space to do any building. I was wondering if anyone trying to get into building, or with a space already set up, would be willing to work out something where I could share some tools or time. I would like to build about 5 pairs this year, and can do some of the necessary work at the woodshop at UW... but there are somethings I cannot do there. If you are new to building and would like some help getting set up and started (and inherit the knowledge gleaned from all the mistakes I made, saving scores of hours and hundreds of dollar), or someone who already builds looking for some help with the grunt work or CADing skis (I use AutoCAD 2008, but am trying to start with Solidworks), or just another hand around the garage, let me know if you'd be willing to try to work something out.

As for my experience with building... I spent last year in a rented house in Lake Tahoe telecommuting to my Ohio State research job and learning to build skis in the garage (don't tell my landlord). I was pretty successful and built a number of progressively better pairs that all survived on the hill, with the last pair actually becoming my favorite all mountains (I used to race, so I've tried quite a few boards)

If you are interested in helping me out, send me a PM. Thanks!