Press and Core Pics

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

SRP

Press and Core Pics

Post by SRP »

I thought I would post some pics of the progress on my press and cores. I always enjoy seeing other peoples, so now I can return the favor. The bladders are at 100psi in the photo with no noticeable leaks. I am hoping to get started on molds in the next two weeks. I also wanted to just say a quick thanks to everyone on this site for such great info.

knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

sweet, my press uses the exact same frame, though i have to shim it up to accept the new cat track, and i have one 16" wide bladder.
looks good so far!
oasisvader

Post by oasisvader »

Thanks for the pictures, looks great! Are you able to press two skis at a time, or just one?
SRP

Post by SRP »

Knights,

Thanks! I am wondering if I might have to shim as well, that's why I haven't welded it all yet. I am going to see where I'm at after the molds are done. What's your press cavity height? What do you think is the least I can get away with? I am going to add heat blanket and cattrack.
SRP

Post by SRP »

Oasis,

I can do two skis at a time. The press is 16" wide and 10 feet long. I happened to find four matching I-beams at the scrap yard and didn't want to deal with cutting them shorter.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

ps, under pressure the beams will spread apart slightly.
get some threaded rods and eyehooks and stuff, and secure them across, underneath the bottom ibeams to keep them from spreading out in the middle.
it will ensure that your molds dont warp at all. dont have to worry about the top so much since the airbag will make up for it. you could also bolt some plates to the bottom or something to secure them together.
or weld them in small areas where you could grind the welds off later if you want to disassemble.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Just a thought on the space issue. Make your mold on the base a little thicker to take up the excess space. I would guess the top can be done the same.
rockaukum
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

srp,
my press i actually purchased from november snowboards, for a good price.
the cavity of the frame is 8" in height, 16" wide.

the press was originally configured without a cat track, since they were making capped boards they used the bladder to perform the capping which worked really good.
i have a cat track that is 1" thick give or take a pinch but all the pre-existing parts were designed to occupy all the space of the cavity, so I have to shim up at least an inch.
dan @ grafsnowboards has the same dilemna, he has cat track but is now adding a heater.

your airbags look thinner than mine but it's hard to tell, it all depends on how you build your molds.

most of your stresses will be on the bolts anyway, which seem to be in the same configuration as mine. i dont think there will be much of an issue if you have to use some wood spacers in there. just dont stand too close while its building pressure the first few times.

i'm also building a cage for my press. i'll be running at 60psi, and even though this thing has run at 90 psi for nearly 1000 cycles, it will still be different and Ive seen first hand what happens to an overinflated press frame, and you dont want to be near it when it's busting apart, dont take safety for granted.
SRP

Post by SRP »

Knights,

I currently have 10 1/2" in the press cavity, so it sounds like I will be able to make it work with the cattrack and heat blanket. I was just planning on going smaller with the mold height and then spacing that as needed.

I hear you on the saftey issue. I am going to go back and weld all my joints after I am sure the spacing will be right. Between the weld and grade 8 bolts I am pretty confident.

Rockaukum,

We where referring to not having enough space in the press cavity, thus having to shim the ends to give us more space. Thanks for the advice though.
Scott
SRP

Post by SRP »

Knights,

I currently have 10 1/2" in the press cavity, so it sounds like I will be able to make it work with the cattrack and heat blanket. I was just planning on going smaller with the mold height and then spacing that as needed.

I hear you on the saftey issue. I am going to go back and weld all my joints after I am sure the spacing will be right. Between the weld and grade 8 bolts I am pretty confident.

Rockaukum,

We where referring to not having enough space in the press cavity, thus having to shim the ends to give us more space. Thanks for the advice though.
Scott
hydrant71

Post by hydrant71 »

srp,

first off i don't believe you need to weld your frame because of the
type off design that is. it looks like you are using 5/8" dia grade 8
bolts, because they are subjected to a tension not a shear load it is
a very strong configuration as is. its been proven by graf, head monkey,
november snowboards and many others without welding.

boxing the sides of the vertical spacer
i-beams by welding plate to the ends will help keep the beams from
flexing under pressure. i think some of the flex of the main beams comes from the vertical spacers flexing in that particular press design. pm me if
i'm not making sense on this.

like knight said you may need to bolt steel bar or channel or through bolts between the two upper beams to keep them from twisting
from each other, but with two air bags you may not need to.

nice shop by the way. what type of woodworking do you do?

jason
SRP

Post by SRP »

Jason,

Thanks for the info.

I have actually been thinking of welding a couple 2" square tubing pieces in the ends of the i-beam spacer (where you were suggesting putting the metal plate). What do you think of just putting a couple of two inch welds along the length of the i-beams to stop them from seperating? I figure they would be easy enough to cut if I ever wanted to take the press apart.

As for woodworking, I did custom framing of artwork for six years. I have also built some custom furniture here and there. I am currently getting ready to start a full remodel on my house, so I will be building all the cabinets, built-ins, etc. Part work, part hobbie!!

Scott
hydrant71

Post by hydrant71 »

good find on the used beams, i looked for a while and could not find
used so i had to buy new which was very evpensive. i think the welds could work fine but i think welding a tube or plate across the top and bottom beams would
prob be best so the welds are in a shear configuation, but thats just to be
overly safe, i get kind of silly when it comes to that stuff.

i'd also like to build some cabinets and built ins some day, after i get my shop and press set back up after moving, yuk. someday i'll be able to build again. nice work on the press, looks great, you'll have a great time
using it.

jason