an other layup video

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

plywood

an other layup video

Post by plywood »

just found this nice one (but didn`t found a previous post with layup videos, so i opened a new one):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lnfaDaB-RmQ

PS: somehow the link didn`t work as i rechecked it - in this case search for "making skis for Chris Peters" on youtube.com
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
thetradwoodboat

Post by thetradwoodboat »

nice find! always good to see how someone else does it. that guy's got all the gear. it looked like he was joining sidewalls and core in the layup process, kinda hard to believe. i'd like to talk to him about what the extra crosswise rubber is for, damping or durability.
anybody know where he is located?
plywood

Post by plywood »

yep i also noticed the extra rubber across the ski in tip and tail. he can glue on the sidewalls like this because he`s using an aluminium casette which "presses" the sidewalls to the core.
Skierguy

Post by Skierguy »

I wonder where this guy is located? It would be great to ask him a few questions. "Folsom Custom Skis". He might me around the corner from me...
That was one of my more spectacular Da Dunt, Da Dunts� Aaron McGovern �Focused
BerkshireSki

Post by BerkshireSki »

I also notice he and others cut the tips and tails off straight and then use solid spacer for the tips and tails. Any thoughts? Does this provide a weak point for the tips and tails?
plywood

Post by plywood »

i personally wouldn`t cut it straight either. i`d do some sort of ah V to get a smooth transition of the forces...but there are quite a lot of guys out there doing this flat joint and it somehow seems to work... maybe if you use very flexible rubber or so it`s better?
alexisg1

Post by alexisg1 »

yeah nice vid plywood :D

I also noticed the sidewalls and rubber stripes...

But what surprised me the most is the time of pressing the skis ! 25 minutes !
I'd like to know the temperature and the kind of epoxy he uses (with 10 ton of press). Any idea ?
plywood

Post by plywood »

i think 25 min are no unusual, at least with prepregs. but i`ve no idea what type of epoxy this could be for wet lamination - there is no epoxy from r&g which would cure in 25min...
Idris

Post by Idris »

At PMGear we used epoxy that cured in 25 min, Both Focus and Slouch Mfg (previous sub contractor) also used resins that cured in 25 min.
King_of_the_Hill

Post by King_of_the_Hill »

Usually epoxies cure faster at higher temperatures, for my pair (hopefully at the end of the month) i'm using an aerospace carbon/epoxy pre-preg which can be cured at 125C for 90minutes or 150C for 30minutes. its all about chemical reactions.. this guy is probably pressing at 170 degrees C or something like that
Assumption is the base of all f*ck ups
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

Sorry all of you but my epoxy siplyer ask me if i want 15 min epoxy at 120ºC , ill go equip my press with heat and try it, but for shure existes, i already have its charecteristics file.
skicore

Post by skicore »

Hey all,

If you want to know more about Folsom Custom Skis check out

folsomcustomskis.com
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

plywood wrote:yep i also noticed the extra rubber across the ski in tip and tail. he can glue on the sidewalls like this because he`s using an aluminium casette which "presses" the sidewalls to the core.

i'm pretty sure that even with a home made cassette, if you can get your sidewall and core dimensions EXACT then you too can just pop sidewalls in during layup. only problems i'd see is where the sidewalls get super thin towards the tips you'd probably have to clamp them down until you seal the cassette.
Doug
chuck

Post by chuck »

I was just watching the Wagner Custom Skis build on youtube:

at about 2:17 they add in the core combined with the sidwalls/tip material. It looks like they don't pre-attach but simply put all the parts together in the "wet lay-up".

Has anybody tried this? Currently I've only done wooden sidewalls but I'd like to find a way to incorporate a plastic sidewall.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

if you look closely they are using a cassette or mold, this allows them to do this because the sides of the mold keep the sidewalls contained.

this is a sweet vid.