January 29-30, Alta and Park City, Utah

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bigKam
Site Admin

January 29-30, Alta and Park City, Utah

Post by bigKam »

Kelvin Wu and i produced our first pair of skis on Monday, January 23, 2005, in the new press we built. our ski press took us about 3-months to build, only because we took our time. anyway, our first pair of skis is the Ahma, shown below:

the dimensions are: 135:108:125mm and length: 178cm. the skis have an asymmetric sidecut. the radius of the inside edge is 25 meters, and this side i call "good". the "evil" side (outside edge) has a 21 meter radius cut.

shortly after pulling them out of the press (4-days later), i flew to Salt Lake City with Michael, Corinne and Kristina to meet up with other friends to at Alta and Park City. The Ahmas' first day on snow was at Alta on Saturday, January 29th.
here's a short movie (*.asf format) of me skiing the Ahmas in 6" of new snow.

on Sunday, we went to Park City to ride the groomers to see how they performed at high-speed. below is a photo at the parking lot of Park City:

sadly, my friend Todd Harman broke his collar bone at Park City after crashing on his Atomic teleskis going about 40-mph. (good thing he wasn't skiing the Ahmas or else his wife would have killed me!!) Todd, Michael and i were skiing rather fast that day. anway, Todd's collarbone fracture was compound (i.e., the bone was sticking out) and it bummed him out a bit. a few hours after the crash, he was in surgery, which put 6 titanium screws into his body. here's the x-ray:

anyway, i'll write more about this trip and how the Ahmas performed, but overall, they skied very well.

-kam k
Madriverglen

Post by Madriverglen »

40 mph!! isnt that rather fast for tele

I am very intrested in how the ahmas held up as i am in the process of making my skis
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Madriverglen wrote:40 mph!! isnt that rather fast for tele
no, not really... :D speed is relative...
Madriverglen wrote: I am very intrested in how the ahmas held up as i am in the process of making my skis

the ahmas are great!! they skis very well. i'm amazed at how well they perform on the hardpack. i skied them a couple weeks ago at whistler. whistler/blackcomb hadn't received much snow and so some runs were bullet-proof. surprisingly, the ahmas held a strong edge. they even handle high speed skiing well too. the only thing i would add to them is more damping elements. at very high speeds they do resonant a bit.
AndrewT

Post by AndrewT »

Cool they sound like a solid ski
Go skiing
Biggie

Post by Biggie »

how did you guys get the white writting and the black K to look so sharp on those skis?
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Biggie wrote:how did you guys get the white writting and the black K to look so sharp on those skis?
the lettering was cut from card paper, using a sharp utility knife. (thick cardpaper does not become translucent when soaked with epoxy, otherwise the lettering doen't stand out.) the letters were placed beneath clear topsheet.