Figment Original taking shape!

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

wintersteiger sells grinder coolant.
They also have the "breaking stone" and one will basically last forever.

You can get that rubber thing on a stick at Home Depot. I forget what dept it's in. They clean the belts real good.

All that stuff about safety, so true. Roll up your sleeves, tuck in your hoodie strings. TIE UP YOUR HAIR if you have long hair! Basically anything loose that could hang into the belt, tuck shirts in , etc.
Wear gloves when handling a razor sharp ski/board. And yes it sucks when you send one into the wall. Usually more for the wall than the board.

Dont ever walk into the potential trajectory path when someone else is grinding. There's also all the metal and plastic and whatever other dust and debris can be shooting off that belt... or the belt itself!! Handle it like you would handle a gun, really.
Doug
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

Thanks for the tips. I used to work on a web printing press, so I am familiar with large spinning machines that can cause injury in the blink of an eye. But thanks for the reality checks and reminders of not becoming complacent. Going to order a 100 zirconia belt, and a 120 ceramic as well as a gallon of the SVST Kool Kut.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

The gummy is to be used dry. Bone dry to clean the belts. It helps to heat the epoxy matr. And bring out new fresh grit.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Great score.

Are you going to keep it in heated space? My sander in unheated garage so I can't use water for coolant mixture my plan to use windshield washer fluid instead
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

MadRussian wrote:Great score.

Are you going to keep it in heated space? My sander in unheated garage so I can't use water for coolant mixture my plan to use windshield washer fluid instead
What??? Just call Sun Valley Ski Tools and buy some Kool Kut. It's been a couple of years, but I don't remember it being very expensive.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

twizzstyle wrote:
What??? Just call Sun Valley Ski Tools and buy some Kool Kut. It's been a couple of years, but I don't remember it being very expensive.
I have Montana brand of concentrate which need to mix with WATER. I simply going to use windshield washer fluid instead of water. This way don't have to drain liquid every time I will use it in the winter to prevent freezing
FigmentOriginal

Its been a while since I've done any board tinkering. I was forced out of my work space and relocated into a more private and secure workshop. Still moving things in and getting setup. Plan is to build a CNC router right there in the middle of things. Psyched!

FigmentOriginal

Need to buy some more edge material before I press again. Went back and reworked my PID control box into a smaller, cleaner box.

Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Fig, do you see any change in the temperature reading when you turn on the fan? Thanks.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

FigmentOriginal wrote:Need to buy some more edge material before I press again. Went back and reworked my PID control box into a smaller, cleaner box.

What size (dimension) box is that and what gauge wire did you use; looks light. i really like they layout and fan addition. I'd think about redoing mine like this.
FigmentOriginal

Re: Figment Original taking shape!

It has been a long while since I have been here. Family life has been a main focus lately so all this stuff has been on the back burner, low simmer.

Here is a quick update.

https://aceskwal.com/

I have been producing skwal boards under the brand name 'Ace Skwal'. Right now I have two models available, an all mountain glass freeride type board and a more carving oriented carbon-titanal board. I wish I could say that I made these boards myself, but I decided to have reputable shops get my designs out there to establish the brand first. As you can imagine I don't sell a ton of these, but I have managed to get them into peoples hands all over the world.

Image Image

My press now resides in my garage at home where it is setup and waiting for me to get to experimenting. I haven't pressed anything since it has been moved there.

I picked up a custom cnc router project from a member here and have been tinkering with that getting it finely tuned. Here is a picture of the machine to get an idea of the size and recent results.

The newest additional to operations is this gem - Grindrite ST2000 J2 Model.
I found it on Facebook Marketplace for only $550! I am still in disbelief that I was able to obtain this machine for that price. It needs some love, but its all there...it also came with an extra stone! If anyone has a manual for this machine and would like to share it I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.