Forum software updated

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Head Monkey

Forum software updated

Post by Head Monkey »

I've updated the phpBB forum software from 3.2.5 to 3.3.0. Please let me know if you find any problems. I'll look into getting the banner image back soon.

Thanks.
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
chrismp

Re: Forum software updated

Post by chrismp »

Thanks for the update! :)
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Only minor issue I noticed so far is that avatars seem to be gone.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Thanks!
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

chrismp wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:25 pm Only minor issue I noticed so far is that avatars seem to be gone.
Oh, you're right!! I'll look into it.
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

Head Monkey wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:57 am
chrismp wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:25 pm Only minor issue I noticed so far is that avatars seem to be gone.
Oh, you're right!! I'll look into it.
Okay, I think they're all back. It appears we allow remote avatars (avatars linked to from another website) and it looks like that option got turned off during the upgrade.
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

Okay, remote avatars are technically a security hole in phpBB. They were disabled by default for all versions 3.2.6+, so when I upgraded from 3.2.5 they got disabled. I've re-enabled them, but the feature is slated for removal in a future release.

So I've enabled avatar image upload. Seems to work for me. I recommend switching to that if you really care long-term.

I suppose I could write a script to go pull everyone's current remote avatar, upload it, and update their profile. Maybe I'll get motivated one day... let's see who wins: my motivation to do that vs. phpBB's motivation to remote the feature entirely :)
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Disable the external avatars, security first ... always! And dont loose your time, motivation and energy writing download scripts ... every user can upload his avatar again, its a little effort for those who want their own avatars to have this wonderful forum here. There are more important things in life (also admins life) then to waste time like that ;) Avatars are nice but just a gimmick....

Thanks for your work !
Tom
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Hello Mike!
Maybe you could enable https for the forum, more and more browsers spit out warnings for non https sites.
With letsencrypt.org you get free certs with automatic renewal, quite easy to install
Tom