Edge Gaps after Pressing

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

falls

Post by falls »

Its loctite precision 5g.
Everyone is always talking about putting too much superglue into the layup so I had been using the precision nozzle to reduce the amount and then had added a finer tip from a skin tissue glue bottle to give even more control. I have used that tip in many pairs without issue. I can't remember when the bottle was opened but had been open at least 9 months I would say. In hindsight I felt that I had more trouble getting the glue to run out of the bottle through the nozzle on this pair and maybe pulled the base/edge off the template sooner than I normally would. I think the glue was OK as one ski was fine and the majority of the second ski the edges stayed in place too. I think I didn't have enough glue in spots or didn't let it sit long enough with all the clamps still on to set up properly.
I've used the glue since to fix something and it seems OK.
I don't store it in the fridge. Temperature oscillates from -2C in winter to +47C in summer with maybe hotter in the shed at times I guess.
Anyway hopefully they will be buried in japanese powder soon and don't look back.
Thanks for all the discussion.

Thanks gavwa - I will check out the 406 - looks like a good option. I've been buying small tubes in bunnings so probably paying too much anyway
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
sammer

Post by sammer »

I'd have to agree that the epoxy hydraulic'ed (probably not a word) the edge away from the base.
Could be bad/not enough glue.
The only one who would notice is you though. If you go to the store and look at skis closely you will see way worse things!

Nice looking skis Falls!

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
falls

Post by falls »

Thanks Sam
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....