Starting up shop - tuning services? used gear? advice

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Boulderski

Starting up shop - tuning services? used gear? advice

Post by Boulderski »

I have been building skis for the last few years and have been selling a few to some friends. For the last several years I have been tuning for a local ski shop so that I can have access to ski tuning machines for my builds. I also work a lot of side hustles flipping old gear during the season to support my addiction (ski building).
I am a very experienced ski tech and I have the opportunity to get my hands on some ski tuning equipment and a small workshop space for next season. I have a small following of people I already tune for and a shop who is interested in having me do there tune work...
Here is my thought: I want to do a retail/factory shop. A place where I can continue pressing my skis and also take in ski tuning service. (I know I am not the first to do that)... but I also have considered having a portion of the shop with a reclaimed ski section.
I know I cannot compete with other local shops with getting the same price point on big manufacturers. Also I have been able to do pretty good flipping old gear over the last few seasons. Seems like if I have the space and have already had success in my local area flipping ski gear this would be a viable extra source of income.

Here is where I am getting hung up: Liability on used gear

- obviously I would only sell indemnified used bindings but is there extra liability danger when you resell used bindings? Seems like there would be. I doubt a ski manufacturer would be on my side in any lawsuit. There are sports recyclers who are selling used bindings all of the time and I am not sure how it works for them would love to know. Most of those shops do not remount or adjust the bindings so that may help them out in terms of liability.

I know this topic is a little off topic but I figured someone on here may have some ideas as to where I can go looking for answers. I really hope I can pull this altogether and begin running my own shop and spending more time on ski builds.
Thanks for any information!
prospectsnow

Post by prospectsnow »

Pretty sure that should all be covered with product liability insurance, but it is always of course inteligent to ask. The downside is that it is pretty expensive.

When I started talking to ski reps about bindings they strongly suggested to have it. As far as new bindings go the binding companies offer a level of liability insurance if you go through training log the install properly. This is probably why many ski shops don’t bother with used gear mounting.

I’m sure no party would raise their hand to take responsibility on used gear liability even if the bindings kept their original mount. Best to just make sure you ask specifically to have coverage on issues that you beleive have risk. You might have sticker shock on this type of coverage.
We have snowboard and kiteboard build kits!
https://prtahoe.com/collections/build-kits