Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

13 SKIS Building proces
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Journals: Log Your Ski Building Progress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvollebregt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you suggest:

Flax 350
UD carbon
BCore
UD carbon
Flax 350
skidesmond

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that how I do it.
SleepingAwake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly disagree with that and I know of a few cases where this lead to problems. You generally try to have a smooth transition in stiffness in order to avoid shear stress on the interface. So always core to biax to UD.

If you want to have the UD against the core I would recommend putting a very light glass or polyester fleece in-between core and UD to give it a little bit of a tougher interface.

Furthermore you would want to change the core profile as well when you switch around layers like that.
gav wa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SleepingAwake wrote:
I strongly disagree with that and I know of a few cases where this lead to problems. You generally try to have a smooth transition in stiffness in order to avoid shear stress on the interface. So always core to biax to UD.

If you want to have the UD against the core I would recommend putting a very light glass or polyester fleece in-between core and UD to give it a little bit of a tougher interface.

Furthermore you would want to change the core profile as well when you switch around layers like that.

Do you think this applies to triax glass as well?
So don't have the 0 degree fibre against the core?
Wouldn't there always be a big differential against the UD layer?
SleepingAwake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gav wa wrote:
SleepingAwake wrote:

Do you think this applies to triax glass as well?
So don't have the 0 degree fibre against the core?
Wouldn't there always be a big differential against the UD layer?

In theory this applies to fiberglass as well, but as your average carbon fiber is around 3 times stiffer than glass fiber the problem is less pronounced.
gav wa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I have been planning to make a set of foldable approach skis that aren't heavy and unreliable like mtn approach. I have some carbon ready to go but now i might add a bit of light glass between the core and carbon.
Cheers bro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Journals: Log Your Ski Building Progress All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: