rocker-camber variations in press moulds.

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Tryconnell

rocker-camber variations in press moulds.

Post by Tryconnell »

hi.
got another question: I plan on making a pair of rocker-camber-rocker skis, I don't have any previous experience ski building and has anyone ever build a press mould (I plan on vacuum) for a rocker-camber-rocker ski. if so please attach a plan/profile photo just so I can get an idea of what kind of distance to allow for the ski to 'settle'.
thanks!
pmg

Post by pmg »

Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

Or you do what I do, and use a sheet of 3mm Aluminium 40cm wide and long enough for your skis.
Bend the sheet for the tip and tail, but leave the rest flat.
Do your layup on it and slip the whole thing into a sealed plastic bag.
Apply vacuum.
Now using strips of wood and clamps you can create rocker / camber wherever you want and how much you want.
My last skis were full rocker. I used 2cm wood on both ends for rocker, and clamped the middle down.
I haven't measured the skis but the rocker remained about 2cm. I can try to measure it tonight if you want.
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.
Tryconnell

Post by Tryconnell »

thank you!
those two methods both sound effective, i might make a few experiments with adjusting molds to see if i can get what i want, Akiwi when modifying the rocker/camber do you keep the materials & aluminium in the bag and just clamp it onto the table and do you need to allow for a distance when clamping it i.e. would you put under a 20mm strip of wood in order to get a 10mm camber? also how long would you recommend leaving it clamped up.
Cheers!
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

That is correct. In that case I just clamped the aluminium sheet in the middle to the table.
I just measured the ski. I held it down and measured 1.5 cm at the back and just under 2 at the front. so it didn't loose much.. Also by holding down it is pushing up against gravity.

The epoxy I use recommends 24 hours drying time in 20 degrees. so that is what it gets.
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.
dvollebregt

Post by dvollebregt »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml5mJhhFJYI&t=185s

This looks similar, I really like the idea. Share your learnings please! :)