mogul specific skis

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

gketcham

mogul specific skis

Post by gketcham »

Does anyone know good specs for a mogul specific ski? I have looked at brands like K2, Volkl, and Moment who all have mogul specific skis, and am curious if anyone here has tried. Thanks
EricW

Post by EricW »

Once I caught some big air and came straight down on a mogul. Dead stop. Laid there for about 5 min waiting for the pain to go away hoping nobody else decided to go the same way.
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

I was thinking about building a mogul ski and researched several skis to come up with a design. I considered averaging a bunch of ski measurements and using that as a starting point. Here is what I found:

The ski core and lay-up design would be radically different than anything I've built so far. I put this project on hold.

-S
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

shif you are a pimp. nice.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

SHIF - I knew real mogul ski are straighter than today all mtn skis but surprised at some of the lengths. I figured they'd be on the short side, under 170cm. Good info!
gketcham

Post by gketcham »

Can anyone tell me how narrow a ski can be and still be mounted with modern bindings? Or how close to the edge of the ski can the binding screws be?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Probably depends on the binding and the type of binding. But I don't usually see skis much narrower than say 65mm or 64mm.
grace ski

Mogul ski

Post by grace ski »

Along with 65 underfoot or so, make sure the tails are wicked stiff. i always prefered that. one can srub speed on the tail drag off the back side of the mogul. The shoval bends into the bump but the tail needs to be stiff. i wonder if a metal/rubber front with a carbon stringer rear would be the ticket. major absorbtion up front and POP or return out back. Just a thought. I would think a beveled bottom might work as well (edge high) as the skis usually just roll and not carve. That would be neat to try..
gketcham

Post by gketcham »

I was thinking of carbon fibering the crap out of the whole ski, do you think carbon fiber in the tip would be a better thing, or neutral? I figure it will need to pop like a son of a gun, and be pretty stiff. Do you think a layer of metal under the topsheet would give it a good stiffness?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I would think a mogal ski would be glass, glass and more glass.
Only a touch of carbon as these types of skis break a ton and I would think to much carbon could make them very brittle.
I have no idea.
gketcham

Post by gketcham »

That makes a lot of sense. Would kevlar add any interesting aspects. What does kevlar do to a ski besides making it stronger?
gketcham

Post by gketcham »

Also, does anyone know what Olympic ski jumping skis are made of (core mostly)? They are super floppy, thought that idea might make a good powder ski.
Hannes

Post by Hannes »

A friend of mine wants a mogulski. Doing some research I found this rather old thread and decided to reopen it.
So far length and outline are planned: noselength, narrow, rather big radius.
But what about the flex? I read several things that go from medium to stiff or medium front to stiff tail. I know there will be some trail and error during this project but some point to start would ne fine.
Hast anyone made a mogul specific ski yet? What kind of layup are you using?

Greetings,
Hannes
24Dave

Post by 24Dave »

I second MM, before becoming a bc boarder all I did was ski bumps. Metal was always discouraged because it would get bent. No carbon just E-glass to be able to deform deep and handle it. Toughness and front end energy absorption is the goal, you could add Innegra throughout or S-Glass in the tail if anything to get modern and fancy.