CPS Base

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mammuth

CPS Base

Post by mammuth »

Anybody has experience with the base from CPS?

PTex3000
Tom
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Its prolly on bundreds of euro and china made ski brands.
You gonna order some?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Not sure. The data looks good, price is also good. I like the isosport stuff a lot and its local for me, so its hard to take something different. Thats the pro side. Minimal order amount, price and delivery time is a con for isosport...

I did see many bases with good properties on paper but on the skis they are too soft, too fragile,... Thats why im asking for.
Tom
falls

Post by falls »

I have not had base from cps, but another german company Okulen. It is black 7500 I think and has been good for bonding and seems pretty tough and hard to damage skiing.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
Hannes

Post by Hannes »

So far I used P-Tex 5920 and 2329. After having a warped base from the 5920 I wanted to look for a datasheet at the CPS-homepage. That way I found out that they produce teir bases just near my roadbike-traininglap. So I just called them and asked what I did wrong. They just invited me to come and see the factory.
I am absolutely stoked. Never seen so many bases once at a time:-) They showed me through the process of producing bases, how they are sintered and sliced up into long strips of about 500-750m.

I still have no clue about chemistry. After the bases are sintered in huge cake tins they look like big black cheeses. Then they are clamped into a lathe and are sliced down to the desired thickness. Afterwards they are grinded and flamed. And this process of heating, cooling and slicing brings the tension into the basematerial.

They told me to keep the temperature in the shop as exact as possible.
My mistake was to store the precut base in another room at about 17°C. Then I took them into the shop with 20°C and started to cut them immeditaly. After being warmed up to the shoptemperature they warped 3mm over a length of 172cm.
I knew I have to watch the temperature but I didn´t know to be so strict with it.

I was told that the problem with warped bases occur less with lower molecularweight.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

You need to kuddle with all your materials and keep them the same temperature ;)
Tom