H-H log

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mammuth

H-H log

Post by mammuth »

So, i think its time to show some steps and findings ...

All starts with a good shaper:

goes on with planner crib (thanks forum!):

Did use leftover wood for spacers, planned to full mm sizes and use 0.2 & 0.3mm steel spacers to get the sizes i need

Tried to avoid edge pullout via couple of methods. Used a big 4blade planner.

1st i filled the ends of the abs edges with epoxy to easy the transition while planning. This will be cut away later and replaced by the tipspacers

Hotglued the tip and start of abs to the crib. Used foam under the rabbets:

Will do some longer woodstripes next time, its a heavy setup pushed trough the planner.

Worked quite well, we went from 2mm/pass setting to 0.2mm/pass ... till 3mm everything was fine.

Under 3mm you see the abs is flapping a little bit and the knives cut in. So the foam i will skip next time and try some steel spacers under the rabetted edges. Think this will work

The epoxy transition area worked well, no pullout there (just 1.2mm height there)

Even with 4 blades you see the dips of the knives, but no problem. Happy with the outcome. A planner with adjustable transport speed would be better ... maybe ;)

Thanks again for all the usefull info here!

... to be continued
Last edited by mammuth on Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
vinman

Post by vinman »

Glue your tips down better and Glue along the area of the sidewall that gets cut away for tip spacer. Re-glue anytime you see the sidewall starting to get chewed like that.

You don't really need spacers under the rabbett.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Did the rabbit do the rabbet? :D
pmg

Post by pmg »

chrismp wrote:Did the rabbit do the rabbet? :D
Haha ;)
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

@vineman: yes hotglue is the ticket, just pita to remove. you glue it full length (on the thin parts) or just drops every some cm?

@chrismp: its mr. hobel :)
Tom
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

keep a heat gun handy and use it to soften the hot glue when you are done planing. Makes things a bit easier, the glue doesn't need much to soften up
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

good idea, thanks!
Tom
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

First one done.. Small problems due to problem with resin, but quite happy with the result. Next days testing, then next protos. New cores already in work...
Tom
vinman

Post by vinman »

I only glue the ends and only as far back as to the pointer I will trim the cores for the tip spacer. This way I know there is no glue on area that will be bonded.

I always leave ~2-3 inches of sacrificial material the get trimmed, so I don't worry about the glue on the ends.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

@vinman: Will try to rabbet the abs after profiling next time. Did replace the torn up parts and had to rabbet them again ... this was working without problems. So i see no disadvantage in rabbeting after profiling (maybe my router bit is pushing down good, its one with replaceable hss blades).
Next core will be ABS again, but want to try to pur the sidewalls.
Tom
vinman

Post by vinman »

Yes you can rabbett after profiling. Just make sure the tip and tail is well supported if using a hand router or use a router table. If using a router table make sure things are held down well and doesn't vibrate.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Instead of building skis i play heavy metal .... hope to have it finished by next week (which is an illusion)
Tom
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

After some active absence here the missing follow up post
note: never change your email address here, you need to get reactivated by admin... unfortunately this needed 6 months :| Anyways, thanks for letting me in again, good things need some time, i know :D

Heres a pic of the press before doing the first pressing of ski. This was beginning af march. Like usual on projects like this the press consumed much more time then planned ;)

Works very well, needed some minor adjustments afterwards. Did build & press 5 boards in 1 week, went out of country afterwards to ski and finish the season. Happy with the results :)

There are still some parts unfinished (paint, control screen,...) and some improvements on my list (true plate, different hoses or improved cattrack) which i want to do before this winter. Ahh, and on top there should be a sublimation press ... maybe i need to change the wheels soon it will be 500kg more heavy then the expected 1.2 tons (which is already 1.5t) when everything is together. Lets see how it works out.
Deflection is like calculated 3mm @ 6 bar/90psi ... with 240cm opening. On the pic thats a 195cm board inside 8)

Thanks to all you guys here, got a lot of inspirations from you for building my 1.5 Ton baby

Pray for snow!
Last edited by mammuth on Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Tom
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Here are the results:

in case you wonder ... its monoskis ;)
The black one was my first full carbon experiment. Turned out little bit too soft, but otherwise i was surprised. Till then i didnt like carbon on skis, have to rethink

and in action .... forget what most of you have in mind thinking about monoski ... the 80ths are long gone ;) Last year i did the step and introduced monos with big rocker (imho there was just faction with a pintailish mono with little rocker before that) and dual rocker. That was the reason i started into the ski building journey. And man i dont regret it :)

Some shots with me and 2 friends:
Tom