Grindrite st600

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Wvmtnbiker

Grindrite st600

Post by Wvmtnbiker »

Got pics of Fontaine 680 and it was in rough shape. Found a Grindrite st600 in decent shape just looking at the pictures but the seller says the drum is pretty worn - can you get new drums or remachined drums and if so how much do they run? Do they make an edging attachment for skis? Thanks
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

The old Toko grinder I used to have (lost in a fire last summer) had an adjustable fence for doing edges (so you use the main belt, rather than a separate edge only grinding attachment). I bought an ST600 as a replacement after the fire.

I've never seen any pictures of ST600s with a fence like my old Toko, so I'll be making something similar that will bolt onto the top of the machine. I use my grinder as just a big belt sander 90% of the time, but for the couple pairs of skis I make a year, I'll need a way to get a good edge de-flashing.

No clue where to get replacement parts, these are pretty old machines at this point? You might check with SVST, they sell lots of Wintersteiger parts (who bought out Grindrite I think).

I'd love if I could find an autofeed for my 600. I made one myself for the Toko, but I don't have a strong desire to add that to my project queue.
Wvmtnbiker

Post by Wvmtnbiker »

Thanks for the response - I think I'm going with the Fontaine machine - the 680. Funny I just saw your youtube video with the Toyo grinder and was going to PM you about the autofeed at some point. I seem to remember reading on here somewhere that you only had $60 in to it?? I'll see how it goes with out it at first. What grits are you using for new skis - i was thinking i would start with 80 & 120 then maybe 150 - the guy I'm buying the machine from also has Scotchbrite pads for the final finishing.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I can't remember how much total it cost me to build the autofeed. It wasn't crazy, but it was certainly more than $60. The motor was a little underpowered (I used a motor from a harbor freight gantry crane trolley), but it got the job done.

For brand new skis I use 80 grit to remove epoxy and flatten the bases, then finish with 120 grit ceramic. Econaway Abrasives is a great source for belts of any size.