alaska

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

the.quass

alaska

Post by the.quass »

Hi guys, so my girlfriend and I are talking about doing a trip to Canada and Alaska in Feb next year. I thought this place would be a good source of info as some if you have probably been/live near here. I was thinking we would catch the ferry from Bellingham to Juneau and then either ferry or fly to anchorage. Visit alyeska for a few days of fun and then fly back to Vancouver for whistler and maybe some kamloops resorts.
Has anyone caught the ferry? What are they like? Are they with the extra money? I assume its The views are pretty beautiful. Anyone been to alyeska? Thoughts? Any BC suggestion
My girlfriend has been wanting to go to Alaska for years so anything we should make sure to see?
Dtrain, looks like we would sail past prince Rupert if we did the ferry!
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Ya dude. Big time. You guys should plan spend a night a night or two here and we can go shred Shames mountain. Epic place. Crazy snowfall, and the terrain minutes from the lift is mind blowing. You guys cold stay here too. Got room in the house.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Bus from anchorage to Ketchikan. Fly here. Shred sick pow lines and then fly to Vancouver.

Once your here, you won't want to leave. That I can promise.
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Hi dtrain, err that sounds flipping amazing! I will do some research. Thanks for the offer.
Did shames get purchased?
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Yes. All the skiers/boarders from the 3 small cities, along with with some donations, bought the hill. Everybody who rides there is now an owner is some shape or form. Its a co-op.

The on mountain vibe being up there is amazing. Keep it in mind.
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

the more i read the more excited I get :)
I am really pumped about this trip. Hope it goes ahead.
Shames sounds like a really amazing place and I really hope I get the chance to check it out (along with Divide HQ of course).
Dtrain, Have you caught the ferries much? Any Alaska ferries?
If so, what are they like? I imagine them to offer some pretty special views.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

years ago....but yes the landscapes are pure wild!
sammer

Post by sammer »

I took the ferry from Skagway to Price Rupert eons ago. (mid 80s)
It was an awesome trip. They let us setup our dome tent on the deck, don't know if this is still allowed.
Most passengers slept on deck chairs.
Might be a bit chilly in the winter though. ;-)

It was a 5 day trip from Whitehorse Yukon, Hitched a ride to skagway, ferries to Rupert then to Port Hardy, Bus to Nanimo, then ferry home to Vancouver. Ah to be young again!!!!

I remember the alaska ferry was kinda dirty, and the washrooms were really stinky.
That said, standing on the lower back deck with the porpoises playing along side, 15-20 ft from your face, is one of my favorite memories.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Hey Sammer,
Thanks for sharing that. The porpoise stories are the types of things I am imagining and yearning for ;)
I am going to get a cabin I think. It's about 150 bucks each for the cabin from Seattle to Juneau so it seems like a good idea seeing it's winter.
Cheers
DC