Underwater Snowboard Build

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

falls

Underwater Snowboard Build

Post by falls »

Hey Everyone
Not sure if this got posted already as I have been away for a while, but I saw it tonight and thought it was pretty cool.
Using the pressure of the ocean to press a snowboard!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53VT1dqs4k4
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Crazy idea! Does anyone else think the guy looks like Chuck Norris? :)
pentagram

Post by pentagram »

Hi Guys,

The underwater press idea was mine, I'm the diver featured in the video with Dave from Signal snowboards.
The fundamentals of underwater pressing is pretty straight forward, the diving bit and taking it to depth increases the pressure however it is completely possible to build a water press and submerge to a depth of just a few inches for instance beneath the surface which will give pressure just over full vacuum. In the shoot we used a venturi attached to a one way vac bag valve to get the air out before submersion but it is possible with no machinery if a water proof bag was constructed with a gas tight zip ( dry suit zip ) and a dry suit air release valve ( essentially a valve that lets the air out to form vacuum when submersed in the waters pressure). It's perhaps not the obvious way of doing things but it works.. If anyone has any questions about the build please ask. It was a super fun experiment. Lance.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

So you're saying we can start building boards in our bathtubs? :D

It's great to see someone from skibuilders contribute to this awesome web series!
Last edited by chrismp on Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I think that makes the ocean the world's biggest autoclave! That's pretty awesome, great video!

(as an aside - sometimes I feel like my layups are as hectic and messy as them doing it on a boat :oops: )
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

pentagram wrote:Hi Guys,

The underwater press idea was mine, I'm the diver featured in the video with Dave from Signal snowboards.
The fundamentals of underwater pressing is pretty straight forward, the diving bit and taking it to depth increases the pressure however it is completely possible to build a water press and submerge to a depth of just a few inches for instance beneath the surface which will give pressure just over full vacuum. In the shoot we used a venturi attached to a one way vac bag valve to get the air out before submersion but it is possible with no machinery if a water proof bag was constructed with a gas tight zip ( dry suit zip ) and a dry suit air release valve ( essentially a valve that lets the air out to form vacuum when submersed in the waters pressure). It's perhaps not the obvious way of doing things but it works.. If anyone has any questions about the build please ask. It was a super fun experiment. Lance.
Way to push the envelope!
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

sick, glad to see some of us repped!!!!
I like how you guys used another snowboard for the form :)
Doug
falls

Post by falls »

I might do my next layup video in a wetsuit!

Must have been some ultra low temp cure epoxy. What is the water temp like in Milford sound? Must be near 10C?
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
sammer

Post by sammer »

falls wrote: Must have been some ultra low temp cure epoxy. What is the water temp like in Milford sound? Must be near 10C?
I was thinking that was part of why it fell apart. Not quite cooked yet.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)