First design

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

dvollebregt

First design

Post by dvollebregt »

Hi all!

Two months ago I started to think about building my own skis. In a few weeks time I analyzed the forum/site and decided to just do it!

In the picture below you can see my first design, it supposed to be an all-mountain ski. I will use bamboo as a core 2mm-10mm-2mm.

Does anyone have experience with the difference in camber after pressing. In the skibuilders how to, they say that the camber loses 8-10mm after pressing/vacuum.

I'm also wondering if the highest point of camber needs to be just below centre boot? Bit backwards...

I look forward to your comments!

:D

Duco

Amsterdam/Netherlands
Last edited by dvollebregt on Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
dvollebregt

Post by dvollebregt »

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Design looks solid. Camber loss depends on a few factors but unless you're using heat expect 5-8mm loss or so. Hard to predict. Typically the highest camber point s/b under the boot center.
MadRussian

Re: First design

Post by MadRussian »

dvollebregt wrote:
Does anyone have experience with the difference in camber after pressing. In the skibuilders how to, they say that the camber loses 8-10mm after pressing/vacuum.
my mold is zero camber. Removed from press skis has zero camber even with 10° differential on the blankets. I shim them 25mm in the middle and put some weights on tips/tails and left cool overnight in the morning got about 8 mm camber.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
JSquare

Post by JSquare »

We did some boards last year with 1-2mm loss at the max. We did room temp cures (first year boards on a quick and dirty vacuum bag setup). We left the board in the mold for a few days and took it out after final cure. Hope this helps