Great news, snocad related!!!!!

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

nearls

Post by nearls »

Had to buy an update from mac to be able to fix the out of date Java but things seem to be working again. Thanks for the help Tufty!
dg

Post by dg »

Hi All

I guess I've got some explaining to do !

It's Dan Graf the erstwhile grafsnowboards person and snoCAD programmer

Those of you who have got very young children or have started your own business, or project managed a house build will know all about sleepless nights and working all hours. I did all three at the same time over the last couple of years - I started an IT company http://www.infraxis.com, managed the construction of my mother's place and had kid 1 followed 2 years later by kid 2.

It's been hell and awesome all at the same time. My snowboard building / riding / grafsnowboards etc all had to take a back seat.

OK - I was in touch with some guys from here about snoCAD but again I sort of drifted off the topic due to the good but crazy mayhem in my life.

I have no problem at all publishing snoCAD in a different form and moving away from the JNLP launcher.

I've put it on google drive and made it accessible to all :

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

This contains the snoCAD-X JAR file and a lib folder with other JAR files in. If you follow the google link and download the files, you can save them somewhere on your machine and launch the JAR with the Java executable.

It should look like this :

FOLDER
:
:--lib
: :
: :- Other JAR files
:
:--snoCAD-X.jar

I have run this on my Windows 8 laptop and my Mac, both seem to work fine.

If your file associations are right you can even double click on the JAR and it'll run. If the skibuilders guys want to serve it up also directly from this site that's perfectly fine too - go for it guys.

What I won't do is publish the source code or open source it, and I also have little time at the moment for any changes or support - so it is what it is.

But - it's not the last you've heard of me and snowboard building - I just looked at a new workshop at the foot of a local ski hill (Flumserberg) with 100% hydro electric power ;) We move into the building on Saturday this week and 2 months later the shop will be fitted out and ready to rock.

Now that the IT business is settling down into some form of stability I'm going to make every attempt to get back into building stuff. The hydro power thing is motivating me to try and concentrate on renewables - natural fibre composites and bio resins, recycled PET foam / recycled and sustainable wood composite cores and so forth.

I'll try and drop into this thread over the next few days so please report any issues with the download here, alternatively email to dan@grafsnowboards.com or tweet @dan_graf

Hope it works for you !

Dan
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

Thank's Dan! Thats very good news! Good luck with everything, house, kids, work, and board building. :D

Cheers//Marcus
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
vinman

Post by vinman »

Awesome Dan, glad it worked out. So awesome that this will live on. Thanks

Glad to hear you are back intoned snowboard building also. Good luck
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Hey Dan glad you're back! Sounds like big changes in your life. Glad you were able to bring Snocad-x back to life :D
sammer

Post by sammer »

Thanks Dan, you've done a huge service for this community.

Word of advise, find a bit of time everyday for yourself. Even if it's only 15-20mins, it will help maintain your sanity,

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
tufty

Post by tufty »

Nice one, Dan. Glad to hear you're alright.

For support, there's enough of us techies around that we can probably manage the majority of that anyway.
artski

Post by artski »

No rest for the doers in life! Glad your back on line and back into building.

Good luck, Art