Great news, snocad related!!!!!

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

tufty

Post by tufty »

artski wrote:Yes I've had java for a long time, and it is updated.

Just got started on Draftsight a free 2D drafting program from Dasault systoms. Gotta do something for backup.

Anybody have any experience with that program?
Interesting. Can you fire up the .jar from a terminal?

java -jar <PATH_TO>SnoCAD-X.jar
OAC

Post by OAC »

artski wrote:Yes I've had java for a long time, and it is updated.

Just got started on Draftsight a free 2D drafting program from Dasault systoms. Gotta do something for backup.

Anybody have any experience with that program?
I'm only using DraftSight. :)
But honestly I can say I'm not very experienced in terms of CAD'ing. But no problems creating ski models.
Focus on the spline tool, circles, offset and the measurment tools.
artski

Post by artski »

Tufty, could you explain further, my understanding of computerize is kind of limited.

OAC thanks for the tips. Just starting to learn the program, seams a very daunting task to learn how to design skis on it.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I have not used DS but I doubt it is much different that any other CAD prof. Take a look at my tutorial and it will at least get you started. Then it is trial and error after that.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
tufty

Post by tufty »

artski wrote:Tufty, could you explain further, my understanding of computerize is kind of limited.
Sure.

Go to the finder, the "Applications" directory, in a subdirectory under there called "Utilities" you'll see "Terminal". Double-click it, and you'll get a terminal session open.

In that terminal, type the following (without the quotes, but with the trailing space). Don't hit enter just yet.

"java -jar "

Now go to the finder, navigate to wherever you've put the snocad jar, and drag the jar file to the terminal. You should now have something like this on the terminal command line:

"java -jar /Users/simon/Applications/SnoCAD-X/SnoCAD-X.jar"

You can now hit enter. One of 2 things will happen. Either SnoCAD will start up, which means you have a file association problem, or it won't, and you'll get a load of crap spewed to the terminal window. In the second case, cut and paste it to this thread :)
artski

Post by artski »

I am on a PC computer, not MAC.

The instructions you're giving me are for mac right?
tufty

Post by tufty »

<scrolls back>

Ah, it was nearls who was having problems on OSX. Woops.

Under windows, you need to get a command shell up somehow (don't do windows, sorry) and try running the .jar file from the command line. It should look a lot like my Mac instructions, in that your command line is gonna be something like this

java -jar "c:\Documents and Settings\artski\Desktop\SnoCAD-X.jar"

or whatever the actual path is. Might be worth trying the drag and drop scenario I described for the Mac - It apparently works under XP and 7, but not under Vista.

Oh, and "MAC" is "Media Access Control". The shortening of "Macintosh" is "Mac" :)

Simon
artski

Post by artski »

Thanks for the help Simon, I do appreciate it. I have the vista operating system on my computer, but I'll try it anyway.
As for the nomenclature, that tells you the level of my tech savvy. Though I have made great strides these last few years ; )
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Vista is the issue. Dump it and go 7
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

i refuse to use anything past xp, for personal stuff it's Mac.
Old XP machines are awesome, just dont ever-ever-ever connect them to the internet!!!
Plus my Mach3 CNC software doesnt like 64bit OS anyway, but they did make a 32 bit windows 7.

My CAD is ViaCad for the mac
Doug
tufty

Post by tufty »

Please, don't get into an OS flame war. They're rarely productive. Although, as a mac user, I do enjoy the irony of people using one MS OS saying another MS OS is "the problem" :)

Anyway, back to the problem in hand.

To get the path to a file under Vista, it appears that the solution is to right-click on the file *whilst holding down the shift key*, which causes a few hidden menu items to appear, including "copy as path".

So:

- Go to the start menu, select "Command Prompt".
- in the window that appears, type, without quotes, "java -jar " and don't hit enter.
- find the .jar file in the file explorer thingy, shift-right-click and select "copy as path".
- go back to the command window, paste.
- hit return in the command window.

If that opens SnoCAD, you have a file association problem, and given that MS "helpfully" removed the file association editor in Vista (well done, guys), you probably want this : http://johann.loefflmann.net/en/softwar ... index.html
nearls

Post by nearls »

See what you can gather from this. It's a foreign language to me. Thanks for the effort tufty.

Last login: Sun Dec 31 16:00:37 on console
new-host-2:~ nikolai80$ java -jar /Users/nikolai80/Desktop/stick/SnoCAD-X/SnoCAD-X.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:676)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:317)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:280)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:252)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:375)
new-host-2:~ nikolai80$
tufty

Post by tufty »

Hey Nikolai.

That looks a lot like your Java is out of date. Can you fire up a command prompt again and do the following:

java -version

Yoo should get something a bit like this :

Code: Select all

Java&#40;TM&#41; SE Runtime Environment &#40;build 1.6.0_45-b06-451-11M4406&#41;
Java HotSpot&#40;TM&#41; 64-Bit Server VM &#40;build 20.45-b01-451, mixed mode&#41;
What we're interested in is the runtime environment version (in my case, it's 1.6.xxxxxx). SnoCAD requires version 1.6.

So, my guess at this point is that you'll get something like 1.5.xxxx, which means you need to update your java. Of course, there's nothing like consistency, so the Oracle/Sun/Java site refers to version 1.6 as version 7. Go figure.

Java installer downloads are here : http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

I'd go for the "offline" installer rather than pissing about with the online one, which might, or might not, work depending on your network settings.

Simon
artski

Post by artski »

Okay, so I have tried everything that has been suggested on this thread and nothing works. I even changed to windows 7, which was a lot of work, and re-downloaded the snocad file and it still won't launch.
I'm out of ideas.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

its ok you are much better off with 7.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.