I Beam spacing

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

heretic

I Beam spacing

Post by heretic »

Im getting ready to weld up my press, but am looking for some insight on whether I can gap the I beams to get to a longer cavity width. Each beam is 6.5" wide with two laying side by side. What are potential issues with creating a gap between them? Is a 2" gap too much? Thanks for any/all comments.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

My press has gaps between the beams, top and bottom. 3 inches. No issues!
prospectsnow

Post by prospectsnow »

I'd say it depends on the rest of your design. There is no support for your form block along the gap. It is possible you'll get light pressure there if your forms sit right above the gap or it might break your form block. An easy fix would be to lay up some 3/4" mdf below your form and you should be fine.
We have snowboard and kiteboard build kits!
https://prtahoe.com/collections/build-kits
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

yup! thats what we did. 1 inch mdf top and bottom between beams and molds
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Skis - a gap could be a good thing! Wider cassettes mean the skis aren't so close together during the cure cycle.
heretic

thanks

Post by heretic »

I was thinking the same thing - wider space giving me more "elbow" room for skis, especially as I intend to press a pair at a time. Thanks for the insights...this community is awesome!