Additional VDS layers

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mattman

Post by mattman »

Oh, I am sure all his layers are single-ply. I am just saying that this method creates an additional .024" of material at the outer edges than along the center of the layup. This total amount seems significant.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I think the thickness of the VDS is minimal once heated and compressed. I had a small section of edge in the tip and some base get damaged from getting smashed into a rocky ledge. When I went to repair this I could see that the VDS had compressed and formed around the edge teeth during pressing. This probably negates much of the actual thickness of the VDS. I'm guessing it compressed by 25-50%.

I tend to add .1mm to my rabbett to account for the VDS and glass thickness. Edge teeth usually measure ~.6mm, I use .7-.8mm for rabbett depth and have good results.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
mattman

Post by mattman »

Vinman, thats interesting, I never considered that it would compress. Do you use VDS above and below sidewalls as well?
vinman

Post by vinman »

No I usually just use it on the base side. No issues after 19 pair. I am considering putting it on top though for added insurance.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
bullion mine

Post by bullion mine »

I have all-ways put VDS on top of edges only. I did not realize people were putting it on top of sidewall also. Is the top layer necessary? Has anyone had delams because no VDS on top of uhmw sidewalls?