Where to put my waist.

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Exactly Falls!

What I've been doing is setting my tip and waist widths, then adjusting the tail width to place the waist where I want it (which I do more or less by eye.... I'm a firm believer in the "that looks about right" philosophy)
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

Rybutler, I am assuming that you don't have a CAD program. My advice is to start using one and play around with it. Everything discussed here will immediately make sense. It takes some time to learn all of the functions and you will probably spend countless hours on your initial designs but for me that is half the fun. You can draw anything you damn well please and all your wildest dreams will come true.
NinetyFour

Post by NinetyFour »

Dr. Delam wrote:Rybutler, I am assuming that you don't have a CAD program. My advice is to start using one and play around with it. Everything discussed here will immediately make sense. It takes some time to learn all of the functions and you will probably spend countless hours on your initial designs but for me that is half the fun. You can draw anything you damn well please and all your wildest dreams will come true.
The most current version of AutoCAD is free for "students" ;) at:
http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=download_center

I also have a a big how to post in my thread over at NS for those AutoCAD virgins who don't have a single clue on how to draw anything let alone a ski. Now it isn't the most perfect how to, as it was made in MS paint, but it should get a guy up and running and help with the basics. Thread:
http://www.newschoolers.com/ns/forums/r ... 76/page/1/

If you have any questions on AutoCAD (any year really, I still do all of my official work drawings on R14 as the student AutoCAD watermarks drawings) then hit me up with an inbox on here, or over at NS. Good luck!
NinetyFour

Post by NinetyFour »

Dr. Delam wrote:Rybutler, I am assuming that you don't have a CAD program. My advice is to start using one and play around with it. Everything discussed here will immediately make sense. It takes some time to learn all of the functions and you will probably spend countless hours on your initial designs but for me that is half the fun. You can draw anything you damn well please and all your wildest dreams will come true.
The most current version of AutoCAD is free for "students" ;) at:
http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=download_center

I also have a a big how to post in my thread over at NS for those AutoCAD virgins who don't have a single clue on how to draw anything let alone a ski. Now it isn't the most perfect how to, as it was made in MS paint, but it should get a guy up and running and help with the basics. Thread:
http://www.newschoolers.com/ns/forums/r ... 76/page/1/

If you have any questions on AutoCAD (any year really, I still do all of my official work drawings on R14 as the student AutoCAD watermarks drawings) then hit me up with an inbox on here, or over at NS. Good luck!
PTTR

Post by PTTR »

I have always been backmounting my bindings quite far with the idea that I wanted to "push" my skiis into the turn. It works for me but I am more and more thinking that it has to do with core profile/style of skiing than sidecut waist placement. I know most skiis have this 55% devision but the new salomon http://www.salomon.com/dk/segment/all-mountain-ski.html
must have something like 70-80% setback.

We are making an experiment build right now to see how it works.
The binding will bee mounted as on the veneer ski but the waist is behind the heel.

Any thoughts on this are most welcome!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I'm always one to see experiments. Probably work best in powder. Seems to me you'd have a very long front part of the ski to control with a very short tail. If you get in the back seat at all there won't be much to help you back up, except strong legs and abdomen. I think on a groomed carving trail it would be squirrely. Keep us posted.
PTTR

Post by PTTR »

I'm always one to see experiments. Probably work best in powder. Seems to me you'd have a very long front part of the ski to control with a very short tail. If you get in the back seat at all there won't be much to help you back up, except strong legs and abdomen. I think on a groomed carving trail it would be squirrely. Keep us posted.
It was very different than I tought.
On groomed runs it's like skiing a train. the edge grip is fenomenal but it is very very hard to let go of the edge and sideslipp (?). I didnt like them at all in the soft stuff because of the same reason. The skis where deciding where to go more then me.
The pivot point of the ski is behinde the heel but the pivoting point is under the foot and I belive that is the reason for it not slipping.
Under the foot the edge has an angel compared to normal skis and it almost feels like skiing a rockered ski. (our ski was buildt as a midium soft all camber ski) As soon as you put it on edge it starts going sidways if you understand what I mean? And that was really working! I guess thats where the skiing a train sensation comes from.

Anyway. The skis don't really work as they are now and I ended up rounding the last 20 cm of edge to get it to slip a bit easier, but I belive it could be fixed with designing them a bit diffrently. Maybe having a longer radius from waist to tail? Like making a ski with a radius but without waist? And we did it very extreme as an experiment. The waist is far behind the heel.
In short: carving was fantastic, all other modes of skiing was a disaster.