Fish scale test# 2

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Huck Pitueee

Fish scale test# 2

Post by Huck Pitueee »

I took the plunge and carved steps in the base of my early season beater split board. The board'll be for those first dumps when you climb at resorts to avoid rocks and bushes.
hopefully I got a reasonable glide to climbing ratio. I can always add more steps if it doesnt climb.
Comeonnnn snooowww!!!
fish scale test b 003 by Huck Pitueee, on Flickr
fish scale test b 001 by Huck Pitueee, on Flickr
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I just went through your flickr pics and man you do some beautiful work. Respect!
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

gozaimaas wrote:I just went through your flickr pics and man you do some beautiful work. Respect!
Second that!
olie25

Post by olie25 »

wooooowwww..... you are a true craftsman sir, could not be more impressed!!!
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

Thanks! I wish I were building some fresh boards for this season but gotta save money to move to snow country!!!
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Hey nice job!
Did you just router a groove into the base or did you router it with a bevel? Steep edge on the front with a taper to the rear? This is how I did mine and it works well. One issue that I have is where you remove the base material, it leaves it very coarse (?) and kinda difficult to get the wax to work there. Otherwise the snow sticks like crazy as soon as it warms up. Any insight would be great on a fix for that.
ra
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

I hand carved mine with a razor sharp chisel to get a super slick surface. I saw other peoples router work and could see that roughness.
My steps have a sharp leading edge then blend to the gliding surface.
Hope it works well.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Nice work. the best i could find so far is the spray on wax for that area. keep us posted on how it works
ra