How about this

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MadRussian

How about this

Post by MadRussian »

I thought about this idea for a while but never had the chance to try until past weekend.
How about use firehose above the top mold as a filler also it should work to create adjustable opening for cassette. Basically my idea if top firehose inflated to higher pressure in comparison to main firehose and prevent it from full inflation . Unfortunately yesterday I had only 2 clamped and connected to air so I had not the complete test just proof of concept. It worked. Top firehose inflated at 70 PSI and lower one at 40 psi. At this point I'm not really sure what pressure would be at laminate.
What you guys think about it?

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I think I've seen some one place the hose between the press frame and the top form. But no hose on the bottom. Placing the hose on the top of the form could work if you have very close tolerances between the top/bottom form.

One draw back is when the hose deflates you'll need some heavy-duty springs or something heavy duty to lift up the form so you can get the skis out.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

skidesmond wrote:I think I've seen some one place the hose between the press frame and the top form. But no hose on the bottom. Placing the hose on the top of the form could work if you have very close tolerances between the top/bottom form.

One draw back is when the hose deflates you'll need some heavy-duty springs or something heavy duty to lift up the form so you can get the skis out.
I'm playing to get big trampoline with A LOT of springs because my cattracks have a lot of weight already. If this is not enough I can get specialty springs very compact and very strong. At that point I think trampoline springs should work.
doughboyshredder

Re: How about this

Post by doughboyshredder »

MadRussian wrote:I thought about this idea for a while but never had the chance to try until past weekend.
How about use firehose above the top mold as a filler also it should work to create adjustable opening for cassette. Basically my idea if top firehose inflated to higher pressure in comparison to main firehose and prevent it from full inflation . Unfortunately yesterday I had only 2 clamped and connected to air so I had not the complete test just proof of concept. It worked. Top firehose inflated at 70 PSI and lower one at 40 psi. At this point I'm not really sure what pressure would be at laminate.
What you guys think about it?

Good thinking, if you ask me.

Pressure at the laminate would be calculated using 40psi in your calculations, regardless of pressure of the top bladder.
MadRussian

Re: How about this

Post by MadRussian »

doughboyshredder wrote:
Good thinking, if you ask me.

Pressure at the laminate would be calculated using 40psi in your calculations, regardless of pressure of the top bladder.
That's what I thought. One thing I am not really sure is when main firehose get inflated to 40 PSI top one got compressed a little known that I have is I increased pressure from 60 to 70 PSI. Here I could see main hose get squeezed again. Also for 2 main firehose is needed at least three on the top
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Somebody set me straight here... Wouldn't the two hoses equal out to the same pressure? If the top one is a higher pressure it's going to press down until the bottom hose is at the same pressure? I guess maybe the contact area is the difference. The forces have to be identical.
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

One way to tell is install two gauges. The lower pressure of the two is transferred to the cat track.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Looks like twice as much to go wrong, to me anyway.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Brazen wrote:Looks like twice as much to go wrong, to me anyway.
What can go wrong?
troublemaker wrote:One way to tell is install two gauges. The lower pressure of the two is transferred to the cat track.
I did install two valves instead of 2 gauges . I'm not a scientist are you sure about pressure?
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Maybe a better question might be what CAN'T go wrong ;-)
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Brazen wrote:Maybe a better question might be what CAN'T go wrong ;-)
It doesn't matter what question is better.

I was hoping you share some of your thoughts on those can/can't go wrong
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

i think he's talking about the not yet known problems Jan refers to as "it's always something" ;)
OAC

Post by OAC »

:)
True
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Yea, that's pretty much it. There are twice as many bladders, air lines and regulators coupled with additional monitoring is all. What could possibly go wrong? :D It's been said on here before...simpler is probably better.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Brazen wrote:Yea, that's pretty much it. There are twice as many bladders, air lines and regulators coupled with additional monitoring is all. What could possibly go wrong? :D It's been said on here before...simpler is probably better.
I don't see this idea to be complicated. As far hardware all it needed 2' of air hose, one valve, 1 (T). Altogether no more than $15. I think possible issues you mentioned are minor. It definitely simpler compared to making hydraulic lifters for upper I-beams to create adjustable cavity for cassette.