CNC Router build

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

falls

Post by falls »

.. or pocket sized topo models for wayfinding in the BC!
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Twizz - That's exactly what I was thinking! Novelty factor off the charts.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Well done reliefs of the Alpental valley in nice wood with topo lines would sell like wildfire.

Or, at least elicit a great donation at the Bark ball.
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

Love it, nice work!
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

doughboyshredder wrote:Well done reliefs of the Alpental valley in nice wood with topo lines would sell like wildfire.

Or, at least elicit a great donation at the Bark ball.
Good call!

I did a larger, 20"x30" version of the pass yesterday. Took a LONG time to cut - I roughed it with a 1/2" end mill, but then did the finishing passes with a 1/8" end mill doing really small passes. Looks epic though! I may try to pull a mold off of this one, so I could easily make some fiberglass ones to give to friends.

Unfortunately, 20"x30" is about as big as I can go, because I'm limited by vertical height - I've really only got 4" of realistic vertical working area. I knew it wouldn't take long before I found a limitation I didn't like with my machine :(
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

After machining there was a lot of little fuzzies, so I went over the whole thing with a heat gun. It did a really nice job of melting the fuzzies away, while ever so slightly melting the top surface, giving it a glossy hard shell. Should be perfect to paint with some epoxy to seal it up.

The bummer is that the glue that is holding the two hunks of foam together (I used two blocks of 2" thick foam) didn't shrink/melt like the foam did. So I have this ugly layer that looks like a mineral deposit in the terrain :( Other than that - damn this thing is cool! You can actually see a path of I-90 on the west side of the pass (for those not familiar with this area, dont' worry about it)

Trusty coke can for scale

This is a view of the entire Alpental valley. Detail is pretty damn good if you ask me.

Next up is gluing a bunch of wood together to do a wood one, with black elevation lines.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I think this link will work for everyone. Short clip, nothing special, but shows the router going up and down.

deepskis

Post by deepskis »

Impressive work!! :D
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

That is really cool! Any thoughts of a self portrait? :-)
holmtech

Post by holmtech »

Twizz that thing is sick! What a fun toy. I'm not sure what your long term plan is, but my guess is that it will be impressive. I'm sure the steel press is next. Is the CNC going to be for hire?
OAC

Post by OAC »

skidesmond wrote:That is really cool! Any thoughts of a self portrait? :-)
How about some skis? :D
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

holmtech wrote:Twizz that thing is sick! What a fun toy. I'm not sure what your long term plan is, but my guess is that it will be impressive. I'm sure the steel press is next. Is the CNC going to be for hire?
Well this is still, and always will be, primarily hobby-based for me. I will never give up my day job, as I can't imagine doing anything cooler than flight testing (other than moving up to the front seat, test pilot).

A larger press is low-priority. I still really want a nicer press, but mine works fine for the limited number of skis I do (3-4 pair a year), and I'm already strapped for shop space.

As for will the CNC router be for hire - yes, absolutely. I still want to exercise the machine a bit more before I "officially" offer my services, but I figure if folks need templates or mold parts cut (especially locals), then I can be a good cheap source.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

OAC wrote:
skidesmond wrote:That is really cool! Any thoughts of a self portrait? :-)
How about some skis? :D
Make some skis? Now that's just crazy, why would I do something like that? :)

Now I've got the idea of doing bamboo electric guitar bodies! 8)
NinetyFour

Post by NinetyFour »

You should probably make a relief map of Alta and area, maybe we can locate Chad's Gap ;p
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

twizzstyle wrote:
holmtech wrote:Twizz that thing is sick! What a fun toy. I'm not sure what your long term plan is, but my guess is that it will be impressive. I'm sure the steel press is next. Is the CNC going to be for hire?
Well this is still, and always will be, primarily hobby-based for me. I will never give up my day job, as I can't imagine doing anything cooler than flight testing (other than moving up to the front seat, test pilot).

A larger press is low-priority. I still really want a nicer press, but mine works fine for the limited number of skis I do (3-4 pair a year), and I'm already strapped for shop space.

As for will the CNC router be for hire - yes, absolutely. I still want to exercise the machine a bit more before I "officially" offer my services, but I figure if folks need templates or mold parts cut (especially locals), then I can be a good cheap source.
Well, I may just hit you up sometime, if ever start building again.