big ear snowboards' cloth press

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

chrismp

Post by chrismp »

2mm sounds doable. the concern i have with building a rectangular box around the core is that you would need quite a bit more resin than just filling up a channel.
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

chrismp wrote:2mm sounds doable. the concern i have with building a rectangular box around the core is that you would need quite a bit more resin than just filling up a channel.

Yea I considered that. It has me thinking of making it a larger copy of the skis shape. That way it's not boxy and Im only leaving the amount of sidewall I need and not a ton of extra. Just enough to leave a smooth edge when cutting the flashing off.

My concern with leaving excess core and routing out the channel is wasting to much of my raw core material. I'm using bamboo and 4x8 sheets are expensive so I try to maximize the number of cores I get.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

well, i guess then you'd just have to calculate which way is cheapest for you...
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

hey chris, how do you deal with heating to 70c and ball milling or shaking the pre polymer to get it all melted and even? You just mix it with a drill? That would put allot of air in it i bet.
what a pita
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

MontuckyMadman wrote:hey chris, how do you deal with heating to 70c and ball milling or shaking the pre polymer to get it all melted and even? You just mix it with a drill? That would put allot of air in it i bet.
what a pita
I don't understand what you guys are worried about.

Every board I have ever built the epoxy was mixed with a drill. Yeah, it gets foamy, and has a shit ton of air mixed in. That has nothing to do with having air bubbles in your layup. Air bubbles in your layup are caused by voids of epoxy due to improper wet out.

Picturing people mixing their epoxy gently to keep any air out of the mix makes me laugh.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

You missed what we are talking about. This is for cast polyurethane sidewalls not epoxy.
The solid structure is impaacted by voids.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

sry for the late reply. i just heat the resin in the microwave until its warm to the touch. that turns it liquid. then i add the hardener and mix it with one of those plastic knives. this introduces some bubbles but its not that bad. then i pour it into the channel in the core blank and let it sit at room temp until its cured.
cam.smith

Post by cam.smith »

I looked through the thread already but could have missed it. Do you have a problem with that deflecting horizontally? Also are those lvl's?
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

MontuckyMadman wrote:You missed what we are talking about. This is for cast polyurethane sidewalls not epoxy.
The solid structure is impaacted by voids.
my bad, I was kind of responding to a different thread at the same time.

carry on...........
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

@cam: we don't have issues with deflection. the cordura bags work great as a press frame. it's just not possible to load the press with just one person, thats why we're building a new steel frame press.

the wood used in the press is a couple sheets of formboard with a pyramid shape made of particle board on top of them. since the spacing between the cordura is so small it doesn't deflect in between the bags.