how to make a vacuum pump, do they work

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I think you're better off buying a real vacuum pump. They're designed for continuous running and will last you forever. You can find used ones for not too much. $50-$100 will get you a decent Gast pump on ebay.

Any ski is going to take abuse from rails, regardless of how its pressed, I wouldn't worry too much about that.
14costurm

Cost

Post by 14costurm »

How much would it cost to build a vacuume press from start to finish?
14costurm

Vacuume Pump

Post by 14costurm »

I think you're better off buying a real vacuum pump.
You can find used ones for not too much. $50-$100 will get you a decent Gast pump on ebay.
Can you send me a link? Because I am not good at searching for that kind of stuff
twizzstyle

Re: Vacuume Pump

Post by twizzstyle »

14costurm wrote:
I think you're better off buying a real vacuum pump.
You can find used ones for not too much. $50-$100 will get you a decent Gast pump on ebay.
Can you send me a link? Because I am not good at searching for that kind of stuff
Serious? If you can't handle the googlz, building skis might be beyond your capabilities...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=vacuum+pump
14costurm

Post by 14costurm »

Serious? If you can't handle the googlz, building skis might be beyond your capabilities...
Sorry dude..That was actually my lazy side coming out. I'm also getting sick of all this searching..I'm 17 and doing this for a school project
royal1

vacuum pump

Post by royal1 »

I bought a vacuum pump from veneersupplies it works absolutely great. I am pulling anywhere from 21-23hg at 4500ft is salt lake city. i bought the rebuilt pump for just over $100. He had it shipped to me in about 1 1/2 weeks. I have built 4 snowboards with it this year. I will get pics up as soon as the site allows me, i just joined yesterday.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

14costurm wrote:
Sorry dude..That was actually my lazy side coming out. I'm also getting sick of all this searching..I'm 17 and doing this for a school project
Lazy and ski building do not mix. Good luck.
PTTR

Post by PTTR »

Lazy and ski building do not mix. Good luck.
I started on this skibuilding adventure in November last year and think I can count the number of nights I have had more then 6 hours of sleep since then on my fingers. Lazy and skibuilding do not mix, Insomnia, empty wallet and beers do mix.
Leon87

Vacuum Press

Post by Leon87 »

What kind of Vacuum pump is everyone using? im Having trouble knowing which ones to go for!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Any vacuum pump will work. Gast is a well-known brand. I have a Gast (don't use it for skis though)
Leon87

Post by Leon87 »

ok.

i have found one that is
ECONOMY 3CFM AIR CONDITIONING REFRIGERATION VACUUM PUMP

ski builders wont let me post the link, but if you could google it i would greatly appreciate it!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Yes that will work. It looks like a cheapie Chinese knock off, so who knows how long it will last, but it should work for you.