doors for press?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

momentz

doors for press?

Post by momentz »

hey guys I have recently been purchasing all my materials needed for both my skis and tools. My final things left to do is build the press and profile my cores. So today I was biking around when i passed a house that said free doors. So I just figured what the heck and I took them. So now i have 4, 1/1/2 inch think by 6 foot 5 boards here. I was wondering do you guys think these would be fine to possibly use for the frame of my press and I would also use steel vertical bars? The only problem is that it appears to be hollow for around 1 or 2 cm in the middle thanks guys!
falls

Post by falls »

Hollow doors? I would go with no. unfortunately.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

falls wrote:Hollow doors? I would go with no. unfortunately.
No. A press has a tremendous amount of pressure. Maybe use them as a work bench top... depending on the type of door/wood, maybe a ski core, but not a press.
infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »

yeah doors make really great bench tops since their heavy it doesn't move a lot.

but use something stronger for a press.
momentz

Post by momentz »

okay benches it is! do you guys have any sites or materials online I could purchase for my press? like anything specifically form an online store? And nothing to exspensive
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

momentz

Post by momentz »

just a question, what does this have to do with the press?
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

Honestly.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Just read. And you'll be able to go out and buy (or source) everything you need. This stuff takes research and everyone's approach is different.

Many of us will offer some tips, but no one's going to hand hold. We all had to do the same thing. Read. 8)
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

momentz wrote:
just a question, what does this have to do with the press?
everything. thing guy has one of the simplest press designs on here and it seems to work fine. he just uses thick sheets of plywood and threaded rods!