Apex of camber?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

SkiThe802

Apex of camber?

Post by SkiThe802 »

I have a question about camber. Is the apex of the camber usually at the center of the ski, the center of the boot or the ball of the foot? I can't seem to get a clear answer on this. And just to clarify, I want to make an all mountain ski, not a strictly a powder or park ski.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I make my camber high point equal to the boot sole center. Most of us calculate this point at 55% of the running length.

This little tid bit is tough to find on here. But try searching for boot sole center or something similar.

Where in VT are you?
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

The info on this topic is scattered through out the forum. I put the apex of the camber at the boot center. I put my boot center at 55% of the running length. I also make the narrowest part of the ski at this same point.

For kicks I measured points on a ski I've been using this season. It's a 168cm with a sidecut 12.5m. The boot center is 55% of the RL. The narrowest part of the ski was at Boot Center (72mm). At the ball of foot (for me it 3inches in front of Boot center) the width was almost 2 mm wider 74mm +/-. That's only 1 mm each side of the ski. The camber height varied about 1.5mm, the highest being at Boot center.

So, as accurate you try to be (and should be) the difference in measurements at those point are not massive, IMO.

Throw in rocker, flat skis, fat ski and it may make even less of a difference.
Buz

Post by Buz »

I think this is the fun part of building skis, experimenting with these many different variables...where apex of camber is located, camber height, running length, radius, tip/tail rise, boot length, where to mount bindings whether alpine or tele, etc etc...all inter-related and probably dependent on personal preference, still trying to find my perfect blend and there is nothing better than testing your own skis!
Buz

Post by Buz »

Have you Vermonters heard of these guys, Worth Skis...built by Praxis

http://worthskis.com/
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I've heard of Praxis but not Worth. I like their philosophy.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I would have looked at their site, but decided it wasn't "worth it". Eh? See what I did there?

I've always just put the apex of the camber at the true center of the ski. Saves me from doing anything special with my mold. My ski waist is typically right at, or very close to boot center, but I've never followed any 55% rule of thumb. If I'm honest, I do it by eye (move it around in CAD, lick my thumb and hold it up to the screen "yep, looks like a ski!").
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

twizzstyle wrote:I would have looked at their site, but decided it wasn't "worth it". Eh? See what I did there?

I've always just put the apex of the camber at the true center of the ski. Saves me from doing anything special with my mold. My ski waist is typically right at, or very close to boot center, but I've never followed any 55% rule of thumb. If I'm honest, I do it by eye (move it around in CAD, lick my thumb and hold it up to the screen "yep, looks like a ski!").
:-) That works too!
vinman

Post by vinman »

I know one of the partners that owns the Worth brand. They seem well built. I have not skied them yet however.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com