Cellophane topsheet?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

RichVH

Cellophane topsheet?

Post by RichVH »

Doing a bit of research getting ready to press my first board. Has anyone tried using cellophane as top sheet material. It seems to tick all the right boxes and it doesn't cost anything and its made from wood so eco-friendly?
Also what about aluminium foil? Maybe something a bit thicker than kitchen stuff but again I'm thinking it could work. I'm trying to design boards that are as green as possible. your thoughts?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Not sure I'd consider those materials green. But they're readily available :D

Can't recall anyone using cellophane. Make up a test sample to see if it bonds to everything else. As for Aluminum (AL) foil, not sure how much that will re-enforce your board. Maybe too thin? Plus AL should be chemically treated or abraded to increase adhesion.
RichVH

Post by RichVH »

Is there any reason the top sheet has to be thick? I was going to make it as thin as possible as from what I understand all it does is keep moisture out of the laminate and give you somewhere to print some graphics on. I'll try some test panels. Can't really see why it wouldn't work.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

steve, you probably can't recall anyone using cellophane as a topsheet because it's regularly used as a release film!
i guess this answers all your questions.

afaik the most eco-friendly topsheets commonly used are all sorts of fabric. cotton, hemp, bamboo cloth...
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

There's nothing that says you have to use a top sheet at all. A few people on here have just done bare fiberglass with no issues. It's not as pretty, but it's certainly more "eco" and saves a little weight.
feldybikes

Post by feldybikes »

+1 for no top sheet:

RichVH

Post by RichVH »

I was interested in these materials because they are easy to print onto. I'm a graphic design student and I have a print room with lots of toys available. I was thinking of getting a bit creative with the graphics. Guess I'll just have to give it a go on some test panels. What's the normal procedure? Bit of plywood with a layer of glass and then the cellophane/aluminium?
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

did you read what i posted before? cellophane is not going to stick to epoxy! at least not for long...
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

feldybikes wrote:+1 for no top sheet:

I should stick my foot in my mouth when I say things like "it's not as pretty"... I apologize, cause those are gorgeous skis! :)
RichVH

Post by RichVH »

chrismp wrote:did you read what i posted before? cellophane is not going to stick to epoxy! at least not for long...
After a bit more research I'm swaying towards agreeing with you about the cellophane...I'll still give it a go though just so I know for sure. Cellulose acetate is something I'm going to try as well. What about aluminium? Waste of time?
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

aluminum works, but it might need some abrasion as well as chemical treatment.
cellulose acetate should bond well too. how would you go about printing on cellulose acetate?
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

what I have used before is speaker grill cloth. Many colors and it conforms well.