Sidewalls Delamming

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

ggardner90

Sidewalls Delamming

Post by ggardner90 »

one of my skis is dellamming from the sidewall. the edge and vds stay together but the vds pulls away from the sidewall. i was wondering what you think might be causing this. i flame treated the side wall, and took some sand paper to the side wall to abrade it.
is there anything you guys are doing to keep this from happening.
threeninethree

Post by threeninethree »

what order? You should sand then flame.
~ Matt
vinman

Post by vinman »

Definitely abrade then flame. I abrade with 60 grit on the belt sander. I do this enough to no leave any shiny spots. Then I do a water droplet test to see what the surface tension looks like.

With the water drop test, a small drop of water should spread out flat instead of beading up on the material. If it beads up re-flame.
Last edited by vinman on Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
threeninethree

Post by threeninethree »

If you sand after flaming you are exposing untreated surface area
~ Matt
ggardner90

Post by ggardner90 »

k i will switch the order, i was doing it with sand paper, should i be using my belt sander?
vinman

Post by vinman »

UHMWPE is pretty tough stuff. The belt would be much less effort. I have a link someplace that says flaming within 30 min of layup is a good idea to get the most out of the oxidation of the material.

Look at the bottom right of page 2. It gives some tips on flaming for adhesion of plastics and epoxy.

http://www.epoxyworks.com/26/pdf/Gluing ... _Gflex.pdf

I do find it interesting that they seem to recommend an alcohol wipe and flame treat will increase tensile strength. Look at the table in the top left of page 1 and look at tensile strength of bonding PE materials.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com