Layup Delamination

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

reedb

Layup Delamination

Post by reedb »

I've just finished my first pair of skis, unfortunately I mixed a bad batch of epoxy (not enough hardener) and have a total seperation/delamination between my carbon and core layers. The other layers and the other ski are fine. My question is: What are the odds that if I re-epoxy, that it will hold? Any thoughts, and how-to go about it would be appreciated.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

You will need to re-apply within 24hrs to obtain a chemical bond ... so the story goes.

If this isn't possible - a few photos might help understand the severity of the probelm.
Last edited by Richuk on Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

You really have nothing to lose by trying to re-epoxy. Might want to abrade the surfaces first.
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

I think the odds it will re-bond and look fine are good. i think the odds that it'll last are nil.

I've tried this a couple of times and it never really works. However, you'll get a few rides out of them and with all the work you've put in, that's better than a poke in the eye with sharp stick.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

On my skis that have a router pattern in the base had the tops delam after several years of abuse (skiing). I pealed off the top don the the glass layer. Cleaned it up a bit and pressed a new top on. Used cloth as a top layer and seems to have worked fine. skied on them a few times last season and still holding.
I say go for it and give the feedback.
ra
Bloefeld

Re: Layup Delamination

Post by Bloefeld »

reedb wrote:I've just finished my first pair of skis, unfortunately I mixed a bad batch of epoxy (not enough hardener) and have a total seperation/delamination between my carbon and core layers. The other layers and the other ski are fine. My question is: What are the odds that if I re-epoxy, that it will hold? Any thoughts, and how-to go about it would be appreciated.
You are probably completely hooped. You may try to remove the uncured epoxy with MEK and clean completely. Then you will be left with an adhesion problem; the epoxy you used is unlikely to stick to itself. Weird but true.

I would use Huntsman Adralite 8084 adhesive. The trick is to keep the bond-line gap at this adhesives optimum of 0.030" This is very trick to achieve as the adhesive does not have enough body to just sit there and cure.

Contact me if you want some ideas of how to achieve the solution to this problem.

Cheers,

Bloefeld