sidewall delam

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

prospectsnow

sidewall delam

Post by prospectsnow »

I got ahold of some local abs near me and found out it wasn't the right kind so I'm having some delam and cracking issues. Thank god I found it early on. Thinking I'm going to try urethane.

Anyway, the flame job didn't oxygenate the surface of the abs enough to get a good bond. I peeled the ply off the sidewall, wedged some screw drivers in there and took a small dremel bit to scratch up the surface. I then took an scrap piece of base material and used it to block he flame from the base material. Then I flamed the small crack between the delamed sidewall and base material blockage to try and get a flame treatment. Going to slap some acetone in there and lay it up again. Would anyone else add to the process?
We have snowboard and kiteboard build kits!
https://prtahoe.com/collections/build-kits
nate

Post by nate »

Maybe I misunderstand, but I don't think you want to use acetone at all in the process. It hurts the bond.
prospectsnow

Post by prospectsnow »

acetone just to clean it up the the material surface. It is evaporated before applying epoxy
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

do not use acetone, at least the stuff from the hardware store that costs like 4 bucks. Its leaves a oil residue.
Its been said countless times on here.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

How many times do I have to post this?

Using any solvent ruins the flame treatment on a molecular level. It's not about the residue.

Flame treatment changes the surface of the plastic on a molecular level. Solvents ruin that. If you clean with a solvent, you have to flame treat again.
prospectsnow

Post by prospectsnow »

I see. Thanks for the info. Suppose I missed reading that, but certainly have read to use acetone, maybe on other surfaces.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Do not use acetone.
regardless of what you have read and of course you have to reflame if you use a solvent.
shouldnt really have to clean any of the plastics with a solvent unless its really dirty. Water should sufice.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Yeah, I used to use MEK on everything then flame it. Overkill.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".