Pay for SnoCad

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

gladegp

Pay for SnoCad

Post by gladegp »

Hi

I would definitely be prepared to pay for having a program like SnoCad or the program Richuk was talking about developing (if I understood it correctly)
http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3415

If we pay say $20-30 for such a program it could become a bit more profitable and he could put it on a more stable server.
It is a really good program for entry level users who just need a simple program. $30 is nothing compared to all other stuff we spend money on in skibuilding.

So I say: start charging money for SnoCad if this can make it more stable
PowderKing

Post by PowderKing »

Agree! SnoCad is very valuable to me.
Building skis when there ain't no pow!
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

Has anybody had any good experience with Boardcrafter?
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Thanks for raising this issue gladegp!

Cost is an issue. The company I am involved with is used to high level commissions, so if they can be talked into the levels you suggest, it would be a real expression of 'goodwill'. This company designs CAD/CAM programs, so once it will is up and running it will be super stable.

We are working through a number of issues at the moment, I've been very keen to ensure that 'how we do things' is taken into consideration i.e. being able to specify the 3 inch radius your edge bender pulls, within the program is a real plus. Although, this is not to suggest that complex curves won't be available for those with the tooling!

I don't think it will be long before I can direct you guys to a website!!!
Last edited by Richuk on Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I'd certainly be willing to pay $30-50 for this software. Will it run on OSx?
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I've used the free version of Boardcrafter so can't export with it. It works fine. The one thing I noticed is if you put the same dimension ski in Sno-CadX and Boardcrafter you don't get the same radius. My Sno_CadX is broken at the moment I think his site is down. For a ski that 175cm 116-68-100 running length 155cm is between 16-17m turning radius in Sno-CadX. In Boardcrafter it's 18.8m
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Vinman - let me check with the company and get back to you!
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

100 for this would be totally reasonable. Assuming I cab get the scale to export correctly as a dxf to my plotter, sno cad could not complete this for me.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Vinman - we may be able to look at this down the line, but it's not something we can address in the short term.

Thanks for the vote of confidence MM - looks like I should come to you when we test in Beta ; )
olie25

Post by olie25 »

count me in for 20-50 for something along the lines on snowcad x
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Thanks Olie - expressions of support like this will get us to where we need to be!
bullion mine

Post by bullion mine »

Snowcad is producing a different radius on each side my ski. I use it to cut out my bases on a CNC and after several different attemps the same result. Its killing me. It has to be the software. Maybe I have an old version or it might be that I am not online when using snowcad. I do not see how that matters but I do not know the nuts and bolts of software like this. I tried a POST on this but no replies. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. G3 might like the different radius thing but its not what I am after.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

BM. SnoCAD is a respectable product for the price, but issues appear to arise once you start to export dxf. I think the problem is how the coding of the dxf file is interpreted by secondary programs.

My interesting in producing an alternative program came about after I noticed how the boot centre had been moved an additional 50mm towards the rear... again, it's a respectable product for the price.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I guess I missed this last month, no Mac support? Bummer. Luckily my snocad runs just fine. I'll have to make due until this new platform will run on Mac.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
bullion mine

Post by bullion mine »

Richuk, Thanks for the info. I would also be one of those people interested in a ski software program. PM me if you get one going. I will pay a reasonable fee of coarse.