Ski press (and EVERYTHING ELSE) for sale! CHEAP

For non-commerical sales of materials, equipment, and resources related to ski/snowboard building

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

gketcham

Post by gketcham »

I am interested in your topsheet material, Pink base material, 1.7mm edges, fiberglass and pre cut base material.
holmtech

Post by holmtech »

Man it's like a bunch of wolves to a fresh carcass! I would have liked that carbon...
PM Sent.
MontuckyMadman

Re: .

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Powforbreakfast. wrote:That's right! I developed this method after being tired of 20 hours on the CNC every time I wanted a new mold. This is WAY cheaper, WAY faster, and WAY easier! Plus it's easier to utilize scrap MDF. I have three pieces of .5" steel all-thread that lies in drilled holes at the base of each piece of MDF. Small filler pieces of MDF are used every-other-rib because it's unnecessary to measure each rib every .75". My heat blanket lies directly on the ribs, a permanent layer of aluminum on top of that, and then the 2-piece aluminum set that sandwiches the ski. Therefore, you have the blanket and 2 pieces of aluminum between the ribs and your lamination - more than enough to overcome the corners of the mold and smooth things out. Has always worked perfectly! I believe each piece of aluminun is 3/64ths.
chrismp wrote:interesting mold! using this technique would mean that creating new shapes would be just a matter of having square pieces of mdf cut at the hardware store.
one question: how do you manage to not get any indentation of the mold ribs in your skis? (what kind material do you use to cover the mold and how thick are your aluminum skins?)

thanks!

wait, what are you talking about?

what am i missing?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
holmtech

Re: .

Post by holmtech »

MontuckyMadman wrote:

wait, what are you talking about?

what am i missing?
Check out the mold in his youtube video in the first post...

I'm not sure about the gaps, but turning the mdf 90 degrees like that could make for an easily adjustable mold.

Mark
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

i think this is pure genius! as long as the steps leave no marks on the finished ski i'm all for it!
i never would've dared to try this but now that i know it works i'll definitely try it!

i hate routing mdf and this would eliminate the need to do it. plus it makes changing parts of the mold a breeze...sooo many rocker/camber combos i never got to try because i hate making new molds. but now it's just a matter of going to the hardware store and having some new boards precision cut.

thank you so much tyler!! :D
Powforbreakfast.

Post by Powforbreakfast. »

chrismp wrote:i think this is pure genius! as long as the steps leave no marks on the finished ski i'm all for it!
i never would've dared to try this but now that i know it works i'll definitely try it!

i hate routing mdf and this would eliminate the need to do it. plus it makes changing parts of the mold a breeze...sooo many rocker/camber combos i never got to try because i hate making new molds. but now it's just a matter of going to the hardware store and having some new boards precision cut.

thank you so much tyler!! :D
Definitely have never had a problem! The MDF has a fair amount of give on the corners, too, given the amount of surface area at every step. Just be sure you have a few layers to smooth out the curvature and you should be good.
Powforbreakfast.

Also, for those of you PMing me, I'm not ignoring you - My internet times out every time i try to private message which is why I am so diligent on emailing me at my address artificial.skis@hotmail.com. Sorry for the trouble. I'm on the road for the next three days so I won't be able to get material shipped and my communication may be sub-par.
Powforbreakfast.

28 Meters of pink base remains. Lots of 1.7 edges left. Lots of glass left. 2 meters of 1.3 light blue base left. full 1.3 printed base sheet remains.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Got the sidewalls, love the color. Thanks bud!
Powforbreakfast.

twizzstyle wrote:Got the sidewalls, love the color. Thanks bud!
Good! Thank you for taking it off my hands. Get to building!
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

PM sent for 1.3 light blue base!

Oh, and thanks for the mold idea. I am starting to build my mold today and this idea will probably save me a days worth of work! I am going to try hardwood dowels...all sorts of sizes down at the hardware store!

Cheers!
Buz

Post by Buz »

Ditto on that mold idea, mats arrived today. Thanks again Tyler!
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

figment, make sure you take some photos down the road. i'm always eager to see how people construct their molds!
infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »

Hey is there any more of the ski builders top sheet available

I really need some

Thanks
14costurm

Ski Press

Post by 14costurm »

How would you ship ski press? where do you live? And how much?