fiberglass layers

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

joeA

fiberglass layers

Post by joeA »

i'm currently working on my first pair or skis. im really into the idea of using a clear topsheet that shows through to my core. will be skis be a noodle if i only use a fiberglass layer below my core(birch and poplar)?
ggardner90

Post by ggardner90 »

yes...i would think so unless you used alot of fiberglass and carbon fiber on the bottom, have you thought of using a veneer under your top sheet
novaskis

Post by novaskis »

not necessarily. the skis i have built so far have only two layers of biaxial fiber glass top and bottom (i dont know the weight but pretty heavy) and they are not noodles thats for sure. while a plastic top sheet would make them look cleaner when finished i am not sure it reall adds all that much stiffness. dampness yes but stiffness coms from the core profile and fiber glass combined. in that regard i would say if your worried about it just make your profile a little thicker and/ or add another layer of fiberglass and hit the hill
novaskis

Post by novaskis »

and for ascetics of the wood showing through, glass gets pretty clear once it is hardened. but if you really want the wood to pop ggardner90 is right go with veneer
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

You really should use a layer of FG above and below the core, or at least make the core a bit thicker by 1-2mm to compensate for using only 1 layer of FG. If you're making a wood tip, bending 4-5mm of wood in the tip is a lot of work for a press, especially if you're using a vacuum press, it may not be able to do it. A pneumatic press can if made properly, but the wood could crack. If you're using plastic tip fill, then I'm not sure how durable it will be with only epoxy and clear plastic topsheet. It could break.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

YES you should do fiberglass on the top and bottom! There is nothing saying the ski won't work (i.e. look at very old skis that were just wood and nothing else), but it will ski very poorly, and be susceptible to breaking.

Are you using heat for your curing? If you're using heat, forget about it. You'll end up with like 6 inches of camber...

Veneer is the way to go if you want a pretty wood top. Check out my journal thread, I just made some skis with bamboo veneer on top, and then a clear plastic topsheet on top of that. They look outstanding!
PTTR

Post by PTTR »

I'm thinking of making "double Cores".- One thin topsheet core on top for that clean oldschool look. more or less like a built veneer.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

PTTR wrote:I'm thinking of making "double Cores".- One thin topsheet core on top for that clean oldschool look. more or less like a built veneer.
Veneers come in different thicknesses. Typical veneers are about 1/42in thick or so. You can get thicker veneer, 1/16in or slightly thicker. I get mine at www.certainlywood.com in NY. If you're stuck on 1 layer of FG go with a thicker veneer on top to give 'some' additional support.

I've also built skis using all wood, even a wood base, but I don't recommend a wood base. Here's the write up on it:

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... l&start=15

I've since made a ski similar but w/o a wood base. It's very stiff, core should have been thinner maybe 2-10-2, instead of 3-12-3. Waiting for snow to try it out.
sammer

Post by sammer »

So whats your problem with fiberglass on top of the core?
It wets out pretty clear and shows off your core quite nicely.
Dura surf clear topsheet is pretty much as milky as straight fiberglass.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)