Base grinder for Norwegian builders

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

gladegp

Base grinder for Norwegian builders

Post by gladegp »

I found this on Finn.no, a fairly cheap base grinder for sale by an unknown guy. I would like to buy it but I don't have 3 phase power outlets so it's up for grabs:

http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/tilsalgs ... e=30917153
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Have you looked at whether you can adapt your supply?
gladegp

Post by gladegp »

I've quickly looked at the options.

1. Have an electrician put in 3 phase power. If at all possible it's probably fairly expensive and I don't know how long I will live at my current location.

2. Buy a converter. I believe this costs around $300, add the $500 for the grinder and it starts to get quite expensive

3. Build a converter. This could be an interesting option but I know nothing about electricity. So when someone says "just add a condensator and rotate the phase by 90 degrees to simulate 3 phase" I have no clue how to do this. I would need a detailed step by step guide.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Maybe I buy it... ;-)
Idris

Post by Idris »

The quick and dirty method for 3 phase on single in europe is

Rewire the motor from star to delta. Wire neutral and live to two of the points and put a capacitor (sorry you will have to use google to find the value) between the remaining point and live.

My grinder is wired this way - no guts starting, but once up to speed she's fine