ice under ball of the foot (telemark bindings)

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

sir.orange

ice under ball of the foot (telemark bindings)

Post by sir.orange »

when i go off piste with telemarks it takes only a few turns and i have lots of snow and ice under my ball of the foot, which is very uncomfortable - i ride "linken pro" bindings.
i guess its the same nerve-racking thing with any other telemark binding when skiing backcountry or freeride.

do you know any preventions for that bumps of ice, beside riding alpine bindings??
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

small heating coil?
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

wax it...baby.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
G-man

Post by G-man »

I think I've skied about every tele binding there is except the Linken, and 90% of my skiing is BC (50 to 100 days a year). I really can't remember a time when I've had an issue with ice build-up. So, I'd definitely have to say that you don't need to assume that every tele binding is going to have the same problem that you're experiencing with the Likens. For what it's worth, I ski predominately on 7tm bindings, with never even a hint of icing up, regardless of conditions.

G-man
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

They used to make an anti ice tape for use with some of the older rainey and rottelfella binders but in the snow we ski I have never had ice build up.
I think it was just a thin piece of PE with sticky on it. Made the snow slide off.

All the BD, HH, plastics don't let anything stick to it.
I thought linken was dead.
sir.orange

Post by sir.orange »

maybe its not the binding, more my boots... i ski the yellow/black scarpa t1, they have a very rough profile, like boots for hiking.

snow sticks to the profile and gets pressed by every tele-step... maybe like MM said, a combination of waxing the metal-base and a teflon coating (spray?) for the boats - a lot chemistry for a little skiing.
MontuckyMadman wrote: I thought linken was dead.
seems i got one of the last bindings two years ago, would love to have a second pair or a bomber bishop. im convinced there s nothing comparable for park and "aggressive" tele-skiing. im going to sell that wobbly BD cable-stuff next winter on ebay...that just came into my mind
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I had some bummblebee t1's from a while ago.
I think the problem lies in the design of the binding.
You have a big area under your foot attached to the binding. Seems a bad way for stuff to build up there, the 7tm ones were like that and they sucked balls.
The BD ones are great bindings they just have to be on tight and add some duct tape to link the cartridges together to keep them from spinning and changing the tensions.
Bishops are good I owned them also but super heavy and makes you alpine ski allot do to the high tension levels. I could see if you are a bigger guy liking the bishops just not agile enough for me.
Very tortionally active though I guess I never gave them a chance as I hike allot.