Epoxy Sidewalls

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

agiocochook

Epoxy Sidewalls

Post by agiocochook »

The skis I've made so far have had wood sidewalls which I've coated with epoxy as a final step. For my next pair, though, I'd like to try epoxy sidewalls (around the whole skis as they'll have wood core tips and tails) using the moat method described in the "howto" section. But, I'm a little nervous that the epoxy sidewalls at the tip and tail will fracture as the cores are pressed into the mold. Am I being paranoid?

Also, is anyone selling core blanks other than snowboardmaterials.com?

Scott
falls

Post by falls »

Wednesday mfg sell cores.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Epoxy. Bleh. Wave to Bretton Woods for me :)
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
agiocochook

Post by agiocochook »

Thanks Falls, I'll check them out, and yeah Brazen, I'll do that, preferably from the top of Mt Washington....:) BTW, no fan of epoxy SW's either, but trying to keep it simple as I work out everything else.....
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

Do you need just a glued together core? or do you want it profiled and shaped?

I could make a few ski cores in our snowboard core jig if you just want straight core blanks, however our CNC isnt done (apparently im lazy) so cant do any thickness profiling yet

Im in Farmington NH btw, about 40min from the conways
-Jacob
agiocochook

Post by agiocochook »

Just laminated....given the limited time I can devote to making skis, I'm trying to streamline the process wherever possible. I tried snowboardmaterials.com which, at first, seemed to have the added benefit of offering core blanks for less than I could buy the raw materials for! After shipping, though, the pricing wasn't nearly as advantageous, and several other issues have pretty much eliminated that option.

In any case, at the moment I'm looking for a couple cores measuring 200 cm by 38 cm (I can also work with 200x19, but since you're making snowboards...). If you'd rather pm me with the details, feel free. Thanks Jacob! and if you ever want to trade "factory" tours......

Scott