New Salomon ski layup video

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Gougouneux

New Salomon ski layup video

Post by Gougouneux »

Here is a video of how to build the Bbr salomon ski. Nothing really new, but it sinteresting to see how salomon is doing. The shaper try to explain why the shape of the tip is revolutionary. I m not conviced at all, it just looks like Zag skis. For him, mechanic of ski and surf are the same, this is why he designed the ski like that, what do you guys think about that.

http://www.skipass.com/news/62288-dans- ... i-bbr.html
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Revolutionary? I think it's more retro than anything. When I watch those videos I'm always more interested in the how they do things, machinery and materials used. A friend of mine that works at a ski shop skied on them recently, nothing too impressive.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Me too SD, I am so all into the "hey, I like that piece, the way it fits and did you see the base when it came out..." when I watch these videos.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
sammer

Post by sammer »

I'm more curious about the AK Rockets in the background.
The colour and graphics look like my old green 200cm "blah blah blah" rockets but,
I don't think that's what they are.
Anybody know?

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

I skied the BBR and the Rocker 2 recently and I have to give a thumbs down to both of them.

The BBR was sketchy over 20 mph. Lots of sidecut with out the confidence to lay it over.

I had high hopes for the Rocker but they felt quirky and couldn't find the sweet spot no matter where I put the binding. They seemed soft and bounced all over the place.
chaka

Post by chaka »

I have also skied on the BBR for a couple of days, quite fun at low speed but I didn´t like them at high speed on hard pack.
The pair I tested had to be planned because the bases were really very very concave.
RIDE WITH PRIDE
Sane

Post by Sane »

I skied both the capped an uncapped versions of the BBR and was not impressed by either and they are some of the ugliest looking skis I've ever seen too.
sir.orange

Post by sir.orange »

the only thing im searching for in such films is my personal big mistery:
HOW DO THEY ATTACH SIDEWALLS??

working with enclosed cassettes might handle this easier, but how are the small factorys handling that problem.
for example in the moment-skis factory tour video; you just see already shaped cores and strips of sidewalls, next picture: sidewalls attachted to the core... im always wondering how this tiny, flat surfaces are glued and pressed durable togehter!?
every other step seems obvious, just this sidewall problem keeps me watching "how skis are made" videos for hours..
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

sir.orange wrote: search the forum to have an overall look on building skis. then you may answer that question to yourself:
especially about sidewalls. been covered.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
sir.orange

Post by sir.orange »

thanks for that MontuckyMadman.

this sidewall thing just came into my head when reding this article, your right, maybe there are better places for that. sorry for ignoring my own advices.