first reversecamber/rocker/earlyrise nightmare deck on snow!

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

strangesnowboarding

first reversecamber/rocker/earlyrise nightmare deck on snow!

Post by strangesnowboarding »

somewhere around 15 successfull/failed boards in we got our adjustable press up and running.

went for that new phenomena called reverse camber (i suppose you might have heard about it).

having nowhere to start we just went for it with some dimensions.
flatkick between the binders with around 10mm of rocker to the tip and tail (segmented so it is not as steep next to the inserts and rockers out to the tip and tail.
rocker did not come out symmetrical, but damn close for the first time using the press.
it is a 157cm poplar core, 6.5 mm at bindings, slightly directional but with extra inserts! used 20oz glass top and bottom. black base, clear topsheet and poorly printed ricepaper graphics.

the results......

first really fun board that i have made so far! every other one has not quite been on par with this board. everything came out clean, graphics looked ok, cap was accurate, base was almost flat.

took it out to keystone (almost right out of the press!) and rode somewhere around knee to thigh pow as well as a bunch of cruzers, moguls, trees and big enough drops for a resort.

it was fast (also doing the nowax experiment with our boards now), held edges on the ice, carved like a beastie, has a ton of pop, can still butter (nose and tailpresses are tough compared to the last run of boards we did), rides switch comfortably and is playful all around the mountain.

got back to the shop, adjusted the camber a little more and put in a twin brother that should be even better.

all i have is cellphone pics for now so i will get more today (riding vail, looking for those bigass cliffs!).

look back for pics and more progress!!!
thanks

tom
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Show us that adjustable press!!! :D

congrats on building a fun board!
can't wait to see the pics.
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

Yeah, reverse camber is a whole new expericence that will open up your riding and change the way you look at the mountain. The first time I rode Spautlas I was literally giggling. Have fun in all the pow!
strangesnowboarding

day two

40 inches in two days at vail
just opened the backside of bluesky, snowing all day refreshing our previous tracks. rode waist deep every inbounds run, slackcountry run, catwalk (those sucked without wax, but they also suck with the wrong temp wax, i skated for a couple miles at least by the end of the day)

big rock drops, steep trees and deep chop on top of moguls. and the board survived and did great!

time to hand it off to some harder riders and get more feedback.

i will post up a bunch of workshop pics (presses included) in that thread sometime today. as well as a couple of the boards (twin brothers)
legs and knees hurt too much to ride today, time to work
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Dang! I was in sun down bowl today testing out a new 168 big mountain baord. Fricken sweet day of riding, huh!?
strangesnowboarding

yeah had a good crew and it was truly the best day of riding at vail in my 20 years riding there. i could not believe the snow, we keep getting hammered up here, cant wait for more and more.

board survived another day on the mountain too, one more cooling in the press
strangesnowboarding

finally got a pic of two of them.
on the right was the original i wrote about
on the left is the most recent generation (thinner and reverse...errrr)

twins by strangesnowboarding, on Flickr

been ridin them all and havin fun
we found a two story cabin a couple hours into the backcountry today, great turns with the crew and the animals. we are heading down to taos and santa fe to ride next week! excited to check out some new terrain.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Looks great! Although I don't know anything about snowboarding. But in building we meet! You're lucky with all the snow!
I checked the pictures and the B&W picture is great! It captures a lot!
strangesnowboarding

proof is in the powder

i LOVE my snowboard, perfect for every condition so far, rides like a bat outa hell (even with a mildly bubbled base). at least 15 days on the snow, maybe more?
12+ fresh at vail, 5 lifts and catwalks led us all the way to the east side.
first time i have been too scared to drop cliffs in forever. 100 foot diving board will be mine next 20inch dump. that or the 70foot quad pillowdrop.

check out the rest of the pics in the flickr album, our buddy jeff knows just how to frame the good shots. i just wish we could all ride harder.

gonna put my first split in the press today, hope it comes out.
strangesnowboarding

a little video edit our buddy threw together on his promodel

stoked to have someone riding or decks hard.
nearls

Post by nearls »

Dang! Dude can shred.
strangesnowboarding

yeah he makes me feel like a kid when we ride together. this season he mastered a bunch of different doubles, and he has no fear on top of big cliffs and steep lines. i think we have the snowboard dialed in for him too, thats an accomplishment in itself. he does tend to go through them.

so we ran a couple "miniproduction" tests of the decks with some different graphics and two different sizes of the same model.
150's and 156's, 4 of each (5 156's but one went to our pro so its out of the testing process)
rocker, sandwich not cap fnally!
all sorts of different cloth products (thrift store/tyedye/our screenprinted tshirts) and we used our 3 resin systems.

and then we handed them out to the community to ride every day. everyone is pretty excited about the progress we have made. the goal is to ride all the board variations and so that we can pick a resin system (single blind for those testers out there, haha)

so i will fill in the results of it all when we have some idea what they are. right now we are just having too much fun to stop. rode today with the whole crew on nightmare decks (6!) and had a sick pow day.

heres some pics of whats goin on. (mild nudity may or may not exist)
tiedye stick by strangesnowboarding, on Flickr

two151s (of 4) by strangesnowboarding, on Flickr

gregshit by strangesnowboarding, on Flickr
greg (one of my partners) finally took shit for brains on black mtn right outside of arapaho basin. on a deck he built himself nonetheless.

nightmarestorm by strangesnowboarding, on Flickr
previous days attempt on the same line. they had to bail and ride another good one (dave's wave) because it was so bad.

nightscream by strangesnowboarding, on Flickr
and one of the latest creations. using an old threadless tshirt for the graphic.